Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
So is it true? Lack of deer >

So is it true? Lack of deer

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
View Poll Results: The reason
wolves
25.00%
too many conversation people
0%
too many celeb "hunters" - fools that shoot at anything
16.67%
too many animals previous years / overgrazing of fields
8.33%
other
33.33%
what am I talking about? more deer than ever
16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

So is it true? Lack of deer

Old 05-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

You must be. Flags is still here.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
I'm getting mellower in my old age?
Holy delayed response Batman!
Old 05-11-2014, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are there enough deer? As alluded to above, depends on location. Many things affect the answer but here are a few: habitat, predation, and hunting pressure.

So, to answer your question: Yes, and no. Where you live and where you are planning to hunt decides the answer. As far as trophy animals, that is in the eyes of the beholder, but if you have your heart set on even a 150+ mule deer first time out, you will probably be disappointed. The hunt is the thing, so if you enjoy hunting search out a good looking area and spend some time in the woods.

Didn't take the poll as it seems meaningless to me without a specific location or at least a general area. Where I live in Texas, I can look out my front window any time and see a deer and the area averages a deer per 5 acres. I can easily shoot 4 deer a year. Doesn't have anything to do with your question though.

Lots of good info on this and other similar websites. Take a breath and be careful you don't alienate those who can help you

Last edited by txhunter58; 05-11-2014 at 06:04 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Deer herds in Colorado are still lower than they want.

Cutting tag numbers hasn't helped, so the problem isn't hunters.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our province just had the worst winter in 116 years. The two winters before that were pretty bad also. Winter kill and predation are the main culprits. So bad in fact they are thinking of cancelling this years deer season. Three years ago we could harvest six per hunter.

Ron
Old 05-11-2014, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

haha this made me think of an aticle that was in discover magazine either last month or the month before that titled something like "the mysterious vanishing elk of yellowstone" lol g i wonder why?
yotes is the only thing we have to worry about, but some of ours in the appalacians are wolf hybrids.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...imals-science/
Old 05-11-2014, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

I didnt see one deer this shotgun season in Illinois, my dad only saw 2 during bow season.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting discussion. In fact I wrote a long reply.........until I saw that the original question was posted 2 years ago and the guy who posted, hasn't been back. His poll has no validity unless you mention a specific area/region. I can look out my window this morning and see a deer and I can easily kill 4 deer a year here. So without a location (in his case Colorado) the poll is not useful.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by txhunter58
Interesting discussion. In fact I wrote a long reply.........until I saw that the original question was posted 2 years ago and the guy who posted, hasn't been back. His poll has no validity unless you mention a specific area/region. I can look out my window this morning and see a deer and I can easily kill 4 deer a year here. So without a location (in his case Colorado) the poll is not useful.
Yeah, but you need 4 of your deer to equal one of ours.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You must be. Flags is still here.
Yeah, I am. But then, I'm not the one that got all pouty and said he was leaving for good was I?

How does it feel to know that I completely own you. Even when I'm away from the forum for 4 or 5 days I'm still in your mind. Kind of sad isn't it? What's the matter Pete, you got no friends to play with these days?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.