Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

7 mag ammo

Old 11-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default 7 mag ammo

what do you perceive as being the best factory 7 mag ammo for elk in relatively long ranges say out to 500 yds
Old 11-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have friends that swear by the 175 grain offerings. Best advice is try different factory loadings and see which one that your set up prefers. The best constructed bullets on the planet are not going to help you a bit if they will not shoot out of your rifle.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

My go-to load for the 7mm mag is the 160gr Partition. I don't know if I would trust it to 500yards. Accuracy would be the major issue here. I personally load my own, with a full case of retumbo. If I could get accubonds to shoot good, I would consider that.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

For that distance I would go with:

Remington 7mm Rem. Mag. 150 gr. Swift Scirocco, or Remington 7mm Rem. Mag. 160 gr. Primier PSP Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded.

Good luck.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is it with people wanting to shoot an animal at that range? The 7MM will reach out and touch an elk with lethal force to the distance and beyond.
However, ask yourself this.

Are you capable of shooting to that range?
Do you have a place to practice shooting at that distance or beyond?

If the answer to either of these questions is NO, than forget about trying a shot at that distance, and get more realistic.
Practice at 100, with a 300yrd zero. Or about 2.5 inches high at 100.
Get to know your rifle, and how it handle, what ammo it shoots the best.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

160 TTSX Barnes VorTx!

HL
Old 11-06-2012, 04:02 AM
Typical Buck

500yds. that's the key I would opt for a faster premium load. Faster flatter and more ft lbs down range. That's where I would start my research for up to 500yds. Most people can't consistently make a good 300yd shot let alone 500yds. So you would do your self a favor by eliminating a bunch of trajectory and room for error by going with a faster load. Either that or have time to range, calculate trajectory and wind-age and maybe the scope if you have that type of set up. Most elk hunting don't allow that much time to make a good shot before the animal is in a position of the perfect broadside shot or gets in cover. If the bullet sighted in at 200 yards is dropping more than 40 inches at 500 yards you don't really have a good that great of a 500 yard round for a basic rifle and scope set up for hold overs. My set up is 30" of drop at 500 yards. With a basic foot and a half of hold ( just a tad more than half the width of the elk body) i'm hitting dead center of the elks lungs. If I want to try just for the hear only I hold 6" over the body. But at 500yds why make it a iffy shot go straight through both lungs. And don't try to break bone at 500yds stay behind that shoulder. Hope this helps the ideal of your 500yd shooting.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

I'm not really wanting to shoot 500yds but that is what my outfitter said i should be ready for. the bullets i am shooting are federal premium 165gr boat tail. they seem to shoot just like my 160 nosler partitions do at 100yds. ballistically the boat tails should do better at longer ranges. i'm an old bow hunter so these numbers drive me crazy. i am hoping for something under 200 but i know i am good @ 300. i mainly was curious about everyone else opinion. thanks for the input and i will continue to check back to see what else is said. i am curious about the "ideal" round for a 7 mag. years ago i committed to the 130 on 270 and haven't considered changing. i guess that's what i am really looking for is the best all around bullet for a 7 mag.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by kansaswiderack
I'm not really wanting to shoot 500yds but that is what my outfitter said i should be ready for.
If your outfitter is telling you that I'd be looking for a diff outfitter. It's his job to get you w/in a reasonable shot. And for hunting I wouldn't call 500 yards a reasonable shot for anyone when you consider all the factors that may be in play from going up/down a mountain all day.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:25 PM
RMA
Fork Horn

Default Outiffiter SUCKS

Find a different outfitter ASAP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.