Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Colorado elk season, going after bear! >

Colorado elk season, going after bear!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado elk season, going after bear!

Old 11-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Colorado elk season, going after bear!

Elk season starts tomorrow (3rd rifle season) here in Colorado. However, the dry summer and extremely mild fall have caused the elk to stay way up high, above where I can get to them. The Division of Wildlife is currently reporting a 25% harvest rate compared to this time last year, and last year wasn't very good either!

We're also getting reports from early season hunters that the black bears are still out foraging. Normally I don't bother going after bear this time of year because they're already hibernating. However, given the weather this year it looks like bear are our best bet to have a successful hunt. I bought my bear tag yesterday! I think we're going to concentrate on the bear and chalk the elk up as a loss.

Btw, we'll be out near Durango way.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Spike

I dont think the elk are way up around Durango but maybe thats why I didnt see any. I hunted around Lemon Reservoir first season and saw 1 spike and 1 cow. Where are you going to be heading?
Old 11-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Spike

I heard that all the elk were grazed out by sheep down in in the Durango area and surrounding units (don't quote me on it), I do know quite a few people down in that area that said that there where a lot of bears out. I hunted 2nd season down near Rollinsvile for bear and elk, saw one bear but he didn't present me with a shot, and all the elk I saw were on private land. Good luck to ya.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't be writting off the elk before leaving on to go on a elk hunt. That makes for a bad start. While the conditions suck right now, no doubt things are tuffer but find that can do, make it happen attitude. Just remember, it can all change at anytime, in a given second. Good luck!