Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Big Game Rifle...What Caliber??? >

Big Game Rifle...What Caliber???

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Big Game Rifle...What Caliber???

Old 10-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Dare to be different. 300RUM, but not in the everybody-has-a-model-700 rifle, but in the M70 from winchester.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Spike

I have a 300 Win Mag that would certainly work for elk out to 500 yards, but I would never take a shot at that range. My personal comfort for long range shots is about 300 yards and even closer if at all possible. The rifle I used for elk hunting this year (I didn't get or even see an elk), was my 358 Win. It has an effective range of about 250 yards for elk. Just my opinion, but a big part of hunting is stalking and working my way to get as close as possible before taking a shot. Otherwise, I feel like a sniper rather than a hunter.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why do people think that if you shoot an animal @ 100yds. you're a hunter and if you shoot an animal 500yds. you're sniper.
Do you think that if you take an animal @ 100yds. it makes you a better hunter than a guy that takes an animal @ 500yds?
Old 10-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jerry d
Why do people think that if you shoot an animal @ 100yds. you're a hunter and if you shoot an animal 500yds. you're sniper.
Do you think that if you take an animal @ 100yds. it makes you a better hunter than a guy that takes an animal @ 500yds?
I don't know. Do you think you're better taking one at 500yds, than someone taking one at 50 yds?
Old 10-27-2012, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I don't know. Do you think you're better taking one at 500yds, than someone taking one at 50 yds?
Nope,how about you? Do you think you're better taking one @ 50yds. than someone taking one @ 500yds.?
Old 10-27-2012, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's not quite that simple. If all the closer you can get to an animal is 500 yards because they have exceptional senses and you have no cover or means to stalk them, maybe not.

On the other hand, if all the closer you can get to an animal is 500 yards because you can't read terrain, can't use cover or concealment well, because you sound like a freight train walking through the woods, or because that's how far they are from the road or trail you're driving on, then absolutely yes - you may need to consider sharpening and relying on your shooting skills because your hunting skills probably won't cut it.

500 yards is often at about the threshold where it's no longer a matter of "holdover" or the gimmicky extra subtensions provided by a BDC reticle that put a bullet on target. With the exception of RR, I don't see too many of the long-range fans here ever hint at some of the other factors which come into greater play in the 400-500 yard window and every yard that comes after. So, at what point are you computing solutions to targets, and at what point are you just "guessing"? Sometimes it's just better to be lucky than it is to be good?

Most of the guys who I hear talking about their "700-yard elk" are the cowboys who don't have the first idea what their pace count is, let alone know enough of ballistics and physics to reliably or predictably put a bullet on target at that kind of range. Hey, makes for a good story, though. The same guys talk about how big that walleye was they caught two years ago.

Whatever floats your boat. You might consider that some of us can shoot well beyond 500 yards but choose not to when we're hunting. Different activity. Different combination of skillsets.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nope,how about you? Do you think you're better taking one @ 50yds. than someone taking one @ 500yds.?

I don't think about it. I just do it. Actually, i've done both.

I don't hunt for antlers. I consider it bragging. So, thinking i'm better than you doesn't even enter my mind.

How about you?
Old 10-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

IowaWhitetails, they just giving you a hard time cause your state is charging 540 bucks for an out of state deer hunt and can't even use a rifle ( scowl) Anyway, not that I care but at Cabelas there sure are a lot of Magnums on the used rack that never been shot. The Redfield Revolution 2x7 is 180 bucks there too, kind of high but a nice scope however. This might get you under budget. I shot .270 win @ 400 yds quite a few times across a gravel pit. With a 7600 pump and got 12-16" groups , not so good. It was very hard getting the bullet where I wanted it. Not that I care.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ihookem1
IowaWhitetails, they just giving you a hard time cause your state is charging 540 bucks for an out of state deer hunt and can't even use a rifle ( scowl) Anyway, not that I care but at Cabelas there sure are a lot of Magnums on the used rack that never been shot. The Redfield Revolution 2x7 is 180 bucks there too, kind of high but a nice scope however. This might get you under budget. I shot .270 win @ 400 yds quite a few times across a gravel pit. With a 7600 pump and got 12-16" groups , not so good. It was very hard getting the bullet where I wanted it. Not that I care.
Hard to read and makes no sense.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I don't think about it. I just do it. Actually, i've done both.

I don't hunt for antlers. I consider it bragging. So, thinking i'm better than you doesn't even enter my mind.

How about you?
You must have thought about long range hunt somewhat you called it "boring".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.