Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Big Game Rifle...What Caliber??? >

Big Game Rifle...What Caliber???

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Big Game Rifle...What Caliber???

Old 10-16-2012, 03:00 AM
Fork Horn

Ha ha ha....again thanks for advice!

Last edited by IOWAWHITETAILS; 10-16-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

A couple years ago, I did the same thing (well not 500 yds, I don't have a place to practice that). I hunt mostly whitetail, but want to move and explore western hunting so wanted some thing I can use here and there and take everything from pronghorn to elk, maybe moose.

I went with:

remington Model 700 in .30-06
Leupold VX3 scope in 2.5 - 7
sling

Rang it around $1100
Old 10-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Big game

Originally Posted by IOWAWHITETAILS
Looking Too Hunt Big Game In The Future! Elk Will Be My Next Hunt! Im Undecided on Which Brand Rifle Too Purchase and Up In The Air On Which Caliber!
I Want A Flat Shooting Cartridge With Good Knock Down Out Too 500 yds.
I Got About $1,000 bucks too spend on one want something nice and accurate!
Let me know what you have and what u think mite be a good cartridge/gun for me!
Also any Links On Ballistics Would Be benefical too!
Thanks in advance IOWAWHITETAILS
Wow, an Iowa guy wanting a rifle. Never thought I'd hear that. lol.

There are quite a few calibers that will do the job for you. I like the 30/06. Others, as you've seen, prefer a magnum. They do shoot a little flatter. .300 WM, .300 RUM, .325... the list can go on. I'd also look at the .338 Federal. But, if you do choose the .270 Winchester. Better get a good blood tracking dog.

As for rifles. You should go to a shop, and handle a few. See which one fits you better. Thats really all that matters.

Personally, I don't think $1,000 is enough. But, you might be able to find a nice used rig.

Good luck on the Elk hunt!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Spike

Default What rifle?

You guys are cracking me up! Some great posts. I've hunted out west for almost thirty years and have taken lots of deer and elk and the occasional moose, goat, and bear. In all that time I've taken only one animal from over 500 yards. 90% of my rifle shots have been under 300 yards. Too me, caliber and bullet don't matter much if you're not completely comfortable behind the scope. Find a rifle that fits you and doesn't make you flinch and you will be fine. My personal favorite is my Browning A-bolt in .300 win mag.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Spike

I have been hunting Wyoming for the last 7 years my longest shot was this year 326 yards with a 25-06 at a mule that dropped where it stood. Prevous years I was never over 150 yards for antelope, mule deer and elk. For elk I would use either a 280, 7mm or 308 all have the killing power needed. The 308 is my rifle of choice for Elk the outfitter I hunt with uses a 7mm or 280 for elk.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

it Was Getting Pretty Good!!!! LoL...I dont have no place to shoot 500yds it was just a refereance point! Apparently ruffled some feathers!...butt thanks for the advice!!
Old 10-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Again NOT ALL ELK live in the timber we have elk here in washington state that live their whole life in the low desert of about 400 to 800 ft elevation.....where I hunt is high desert at around 2000 to 4000ft no trees just sage and grass like around the spike in my thumbnail.....500yd shots are common not the exception here!!!! don't knock the other guys game till ya played...we spot and stalk or sometimes have the animals walk right up to you...not many of the old salts or locals hunt with the big magnum bangnums as they just are not needed!!!! they have everything from .32specials to the huge .300 rum, but so far I have not seen a animal taken with one of the supermagnums....normally the guy M/Ts his gun into the sky and the ground and the elk run off and then the locals shoot them!!!!! just my two cents here fellas.......take it with a grain of salt....BUT the question was what would we recomend on a $1000.00 budget!!!! don't be fooled folks, elk are not near as tough as a big muley buck, they are bovine in nature, normally in herds, one stop they all stop,run pretty much in a straight line witch if you see them coming you have ample time to get in front of them and shoot one at your liesure!!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by finnbear
Again NOT ALL ELK live in the timber we have elk here in washington state that live their whole life in the low desert of about 400 to 800 ft elevation.....where I hunt is high desert at around 2000 to 4000ft no trees just sage and grass like around the spike in my thumbnail.....500yd shots are common not the exception here!!!! don't knock the other guys game till ya played...we spot and stalk or sometimes have the animals walk right up to you...not many of the old salts or locals hunt with the big magnum bangnums as they just are not needed!!!! they have everything from .32specials to the huge .300 rum, but so far I have not seen a animal taken with one of the supermagnums....normally the guy M/Ts his gun into the sky and the ground and the elk run off and then the locals shoot them!!!!! just my two cents here fellas.......take it with a grain of salt....BUT the question was what would we recomend on a $1000.00 budget!!!! don't be fooled folks, elk are not near as tough as a big muley buck, they are bovine in nature, normally in herds, one stop they all stop,run pretty much in a straight line witch if you see them coming you have ample time to get in front of them and shoot one at your liesure!!!!
We can only talk about where we hunt. Of course if you hunt the desert you'll have long shots. I hunt the timber, and long shots are not available. I've taken elk at long distance, but I found it boring, and more shooting than woodsmanship.

This is where I hunt. 12,000ft

Old 10-17-2012, 12:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
We can only talk about where we hunt. Of course if you hunt the desert you'll have long shots. I hunt the timber, and long shots are not available. I've taken elk at long distance, but I found it boring, and more shooting than woodsmanship.

This is where I hunt. 12,000ft

I disagree with you muley,i still think it's woodsmanship with an "upper level" of marksmanship added to the equation.
I personally have only practiced to 200yds. but with my rifle sighted @ that distance knowing my MPBR i'd shoot to 300yds.
Like RR said a good range finder is in order.
I like your hunting grounds it reminds me eastern whitetail woods which is what i hunt.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm wrong about what? Still hunting timber doesn't require long shots. You don't agree with that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.