Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Big Game Rifle...What Caliber??? >

Big Game Rifle...What Caliber???

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Big Game Rifle...What Caliber???

Old 10-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lol.......
Old 10-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Iowa, you obviously gave a pointed response to select members who responded.
However, finnbear gave a quality response to your question, and he's correct.
Hatchieluvr also gave a good response here.
I might not choose the calibers that they did, but they are certainly quality calibers. I would go with a quality gun in 7mm Rem. Mag. (personal preference).

Second, this debate has been had on sooooo many threads its almost impossible to not trip over one with even the most basic search.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

A .300 RUM. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
How's your elk?
pretty good! got a bull on cam a couple years ago..craziest picture ive ever got
Old 10-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

A nice 700 Remington or model 70 Winchester in 300 Winchester. Put a nice Leupold or Burris or Nikon scope on it and enjoy.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Sconnyhunter.....They Gave Good Advice! And I Appreciate Yours as Well. The Way i look at it if the select few dont like the topic dont reply!!

And truth be told i am unexperienced when it comes too rifles....maybe its just a personal preference per hunter! What Has Me asking this question is a friend just got back from wyoming with a 30.06 shot a nice muley at 380yds with just a entrance hole and just wanted something with a little more knock down! Meanwhile His Guide Uses a .243 Ackley if im saying it correctly for all big game! So i just thought i could get some help on here with advice and caliber! But then again someones else is question doesnt always answer a question of your own! I appreciate all that reply with advice....Thanks IA
Old 10-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can't go wrong with the 30-06. I got turned off by someone new that wants to start right off with 500yd shots.

You might be surprised that 95% of the elk taken in Colorado were taken at less than 200yds. Most a lot less.

I've never had to take one over 100yds. Elk live in the timber. Once they feel hunter pressure. It's rare to see any in the open.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IOWAWHITETAILS
First off....I Did A Search and it Didnt Answer My Question....Im Looking For A Good Caliber Thats Good Too 500! And Yes Muley Too Poke Something At 300 - 500 yds with complete accuracy and confidence is Hunting Too me
So first, a clue: Caliber ain't gonna get you "complete accuracy and confidence." Only YOU can achieve that. Best not blame it on the rifle.

Second
Old Bob....Experience...own any Guns....500 yds!!!! Come Too Ia Someday and Let me school yah! I Feel Like Its A Legitimate Question...I Dont hunt Big Game Hunt Never Have, Iowa Is a NoN Rifle State...The Closest I Have Is a .50 cal CVA accura. That Being Said and I dont know where u come off Old Bob...talking about exp....guns...What the #$%& is their too hunt in florida Crocadile!!! U Cant Even answer my question much less respond!
Hmmm, I know a few guys who live in Florida and come out here every year to hunt elk, nonetheless. If you're such a stud with your inline, why don't you bring it? I've killed elk with a patched-ball .54 Hawken-pattern FLINTLOCK. There isn't a reason in the world a .50 Accura wouldn't work unless - that is - YOU can't make it work. "School yah"? Right. Save the watch. Stick to whatever small game you're hunting now - if you even manage to hunt that?

And MULEY Your just some internet poser that hangs on this site and thinks hes god....prolly never hit the back country in your life....Thats all i got too say
lol - and that makes you ... what? A punk with an attitude who never hit the back country in his life, or hunted elk with a centerfire rifle, or hunted anything with a centerfire rifle at all. Who's waiting to become the next statistic. Good luck, you'll need it - and that's "all i got too say."

Finis
Old 10-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Spike

Talking

I have a Centurion p14 in 7mm rem mag i love the round but i havent made a proper stance on the rifle yet,
Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.