Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Big Game Rifle...What Caliber??? >

Big Game Rifle...What Caliber???

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Big Game Rifle...What Caliber???

Old 11-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Not true. Your two examples are hardly representative of the 40 million hunters in the US. I know at least 10 hunters who had to back to smaller calibers, because they started to develop a flinch from magnums.

Magnums aren't needed. If you can't kill with a 30-06. You're doing something wrong.

You missed the whole point of my post. It has nothing to do with a caliber being a "magnum". People throw that phrase around like global warming. Shooting more gun then they are accustomed to, or a gun not fitted for them properly, causes flinching. Shooting mangums has nothing to do with it.

Besides, if you need an '06 to kill it, then you must be doing something wrong. 30/30 is plenty for the vast majority of north american game. You just have to do something that too many are not willing to do. Practice.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by streetglideok
You missed the whole point of my post. It has nothing to do with a caliber being a "magnum". People throw that phrase around like global warming. Shooting more gun then they are accustomed to, or a gun not fitted for them properly, causes flinching. Shooting mangums has nothing to do with it.

Besides, if you need an '06 to kill it, then you must be doing something wrong. 30/30 is plenty for the vast majority of north american game. You just have to do something that too many are not willing to do. Practice.
Funny you should say that. I've used a 30-30 for elk and mule deer since the 50's.

Magnums have everything to do with flinching. It's anticipating recoil that causes flinching. The more recoil. The more you anticipate it. What do you think causes flinching? Ever see someone flinch with a BB gun?
Old 11-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Funny you should say that. I've used a 30-30 for elk and mule deer since the 50's.

Magnums have everything to do with flinching. It's anticipating recoil that causes flinching. The more recoil. The more you anticipate it. What do you think causes flinching? Ever see someone flinch with a BB gun?
So what you are saying is, just because my 45/70 has no belt, and says nothing about being a magnum, and the fact its an old and antiquated round, that shooting it will not induce flinching? Guess I should hand it over to my wife and let her shoot it then.

Magnum is purely a name. The 350 Rem mag is hardly a magnum, even though it wears a belt and a name. 240 weatherby magnum isn't much of a magnum, but it wears the name as well. So, as I said before, Magnums have nothing to do with flinching. Heavy recoil coupled with poorly fitted guns cause flinching.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok, lets say any gun with a good recoil. That could mean a really light gun, or a hard hitting caliber. A 30-06 has about 21 lbs of recoil. That's about the maximum comfort level for most people. When you start to get past that. Flinching can happen

The reason I was talking about magnums, is that's what was being discussed, and they're mostly all past the normal comfort level. It may not seem like recoil is bothering someone at first, but it builds up, and soon the body is reacting to it.

I'll give you a good example. I used to be on the Trap Shooting tour in the 70's. I had no problem shooting a 12 gauge all day long with no effect from the recoil. A Timney used to come to the shoots with a trailer that was a machine shop. he working on everybody's guns at the shoots. He had done some trigger work for me. One day it felt like the trigger was locking up. I brought it to Al to check out. After looking at it he said it was fine. I didn't believe him, and went out to shoot. It felt like it locked again. he checked it again, and then laughed. He said..your flinching! I said no way I was pulling the trigger as hard as I could. he finally convinced me to put a release trigger in the gun. I did, and I never had a problem again. My body was reacting to all those thousands of shots, and stopped me from pulling the trigger. I would jerk the gun like it was recoiling, but couldn't pull the trigger. The release trigger relaxes the muscles instead of tightening them, and I didn't flinch anymore.

Flinching can grab anyone at anytime. The more the recoil. The easier it can happen.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by streetglideok
So what you are saying is, just because my 45/70 has no belt, and says nothing about being a magnum, and the fact its an old and antiquated round, that shooting it will not induce flinching? Guess I should hand it over to my wife and let her shoot it then.

Magnum is purely a name. The 350 Rem mag is hardly a magnum, even though it wears a belt and a name. 240 weatherby magnum isn't much of a magnum, but it wears the name as well. So, as I said before, Magnums have nothing to do with flinching. Heavy recoil coupled with poorly fitted guns cause flinching.

"............ Heavy recoil coupled with poorly fitted guns cause flinching " Streetglideok

+1

Plus poor shooting form.

Best thing you can do is to follow through - stay in the scope and maintain the crosshairs on the bullseye !!!

Double hearing protection; plugs plus muffs recommened during practice................

Last edited by Sheridan; 11-01-2012 at 06:45 PM.