HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   California deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/373539-california-deer.html)

bkautz 10-06-2012 10:33 AM

California deer

Hey guys. Im an Iowa resident stationed out here port hueneme. Bought a tag and license the other day for zone d-13 going to Los Padres. Just wondering if the hunting is any good and what to expect. Also, what is a decent deer in that area?

finnbear 10-06-2012 11:24 AM

I take it since ya at portwhoneedsme, ya be a seabee, seabees are always prepared, which means ya shoulda did some home werk before buyin a tag.....but like I tell all the folks that come in here wantin info on a area that they bought tags for but now clue as to what it's like .....................drive over there visit with some locals, chat up the local warden, most wardens I ran across had a soft spot fer military folks!!!! that is as long as ya followed the rules, break a rule an they come down on ya harder than a senior chief with a hangover!!!!!!!!

bkautz 10-06-2012 12:38 PM

Haha seabee it is! I drove over yesterday got there at 6 am and scouted the mountains all day. Lots of deer in there just have to hike a ways. Im just more curious as to what a decent buck is in this region i saw 3 over 140 inches but back home i let them walk everytime and these are mulies.. I didnt know if that was about as big as they get out here or not and i cant find much info as to size on the internet

finnbear 10-06-2012 01:55 PM

Well I don't know about what is considered big down there....I am a meat hunter and normally shoot eh first legal deer that goes by..................My momma never taught me how to cook them antlers so I really don't care what they look like as long as they at least 3 points on one side!!!look out meat in the freezer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was a CE 73/77

JNTURK 10-11-2012 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by bkautz (Post 3987865)
Haha seabee it is! I drove over yesterday got there at 6 am and scouted the mountains all day. Lots of deer in there just have to hike a ways. Im just more curious as to what a decent buck is in this region i saw 3 over 140 inches but back home i let them walk everytime and these are mulies.. I didnt know if that was about as big as they get out here or not and i cant find much info as to size on the internet

3 bucks in D13 over 140 and you let them walk....LOL...I do not call BS, but............

bkautz 10-12-2012 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by JNTURK (Post 3989710)
3 bucks in D13 over 140 and you let them walk....LOL...I do not call BS, but............

you miss understood what i said....back home i would let them walk...those are whitetail these are mulies...maybe i just dont know how to judge them? one was a 4x3 and the other 2 were 4x4s

i wasnt hunting either when i saw them we were scouting for this weekend...bout 4.5 5 miles in