Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Do I Claim My Trophy?

Old 10-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

I would have claimed my bear when I shot it.Dont take a shot unless you know it is good.Ethics are part of a true hunters tools.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

JESUS...at least it was recovered...cant tell ya how many times i see it on here where sum1 wounds/kills an animal but never recovers it....it's embarrassing for the site...this year alone i bet there are 50 dead animals shot and not recovered...on this site alone. i think ya should have to put 20 rounds in at lease a 6 inch area at 100 yards just to get a license. its starting to get ridiculous!
Old 10-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the best comment so far is that nothing ever truly goes to waste in nature. Nature is not kind.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Muley, I notice you didn't say you have never, ever lost an animal. If you really haven't, congratulations, you are 1 in 1000.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't want to, but to be honest. I never lost an animal that I shot.

This comes from my dad beating into me to take nothing but safe shots. It also comes from passing up way more shots than I take. Way more.

1 in a 1000 is still a lot of hunters. The claim is there's 45 million hunters in the US.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 10-05-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure this scenario plays out a lot more often than any of us would prefer it to.

I know that some here might advocate that the game belongs to the first shot. I don't follow that school of thought, however. I've picked up too many gut-shot deer and elk that had made it through the night. Once you lose or are off the trail, you no longer have any claim to it unless it's you who picks it back up somewhere and finishes it off. Not law, just etiquette.

So, in this case (and if it were me), I'd not hesitate giving your uncle credit for fnishing the bear and legally tagging it (I wasn't clear on the whole "last day" thing, either. Had I not read all the way through this, I'd have said your uncle would be guilty of taking game out of season here in WY). It's a good family story though, whether there's taxidermy involved or not.

I'm one who's probably overly particular about the shots I'll take. Nonetheless, I think it's a bit premature of me to say that I'll never lose an animal. That possibility alone makes me even more cautious. But, hunting (to me) isn't at all about hanging something on the wall. It's connecting with the outdoors with an intensity I don't feel when I'm just hiking or camping - first. It's venison in the freezer - second. And if there's something to hang on the wall afterward, a decision between paying some bills and paying the taxidermist. Everyone's motivations are their own, however.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:02 AM
Typical Buck

again, sometimes bad things happen in good situations. I have learned thru this that if I ever get a shot at a bear to hold off for that broadside shot or quartering away. Honestly, I love that quartering to shot on whitetails with a gun. but i guess for bear, you should hold off.

Halfbaked420, not a bad idea for a beginner to hit a target but we all know all that proves is that you can hit a target. I dont think this guy didnt hit what he was aiming at, he just didnt take the right shot. big difference. Next time I bet he holds off and waits.

Muley hunter, I agree with the statement of passing up more shot than you take. it took me a few years growing up to finally quit thinkin I had to shoot at every deer I saw. I feel I have become a better hunter cause of it. But this is I believe a first time bear hunt. Who wouldnt be nervous and mabey jump the gun a little to soon. I feel bad for the guy cause I bet he put in a ton of work for that moment. I bet he is still sick to his stomach about it, as a hunter who has never lost an animal you wouldnt know that feeling. I do
Old 10-06-2012, 04:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I understand the best I can about how he feels. I didn't blame him for the missed shot. I just don't think he would have been happy making a trophy from it.

Just chalk it up to experience, and move on to the next hunt.