Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Do I Claim My Trophy?

Old 10-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

Folks just ignore him he changes his story and makes crap up as he goes along, and can only seem try to get his point across by insultin folks!!!! He's pissed because we won't kiss his posterior and praise him for a great hunt!!!! best thing fer him to do is sit back have a coke and relax and shut his pie-hole!!!!!!! his actions and words only reinforce my opinion of his poor hunting ethics!!!!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its like a train wreck...have to drive by a few times to see who gets pulled out of the wreckage next.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by finnbear
Folks just ignore him he changes his story and makes crap up as he goes along, and can only seem try to get his point across by insultin folks!!!! He's pissed because we won't kiss his posterior and praise him for a great hunt!!!! best thing fer him to do is sit back have a coke and relax and shut his pie-hole!!!!!!! his actions and words only reinforce my opinion of his poor hunting ethics!!!!
finnbear **** happens, i know your working up a sweat getting all angry at the "unethical armchair bandit behind the other computer screen" trying to get some advice and feedback on what happened,and all your doing is bashing him. you must have some personal issues that you like to take out on other people...your going a little to hard... your telling me you never made a bad shot on game before? By god, we have a perfect hunter here, lets praise him. it can be a game of chance and luck. let it go.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by skb2706
Its like a train wreck...have to drive by a few times to see who gets pulled out of the wreckage next.
hahaha very true..
Old 10-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default All trophies might not be a taxidemied trophy

In the end, do we have to taxidermy every trophy? Ten years from now, you may be the only one it has any significance.
You will know the good and the less than good, of collecting that trophy.
In the end, it's your decision. It'll be there, fairly constantly, for at least a time, for you to remember. In your place of residence and no others.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dude, get the bear mounted. Take pictures because I want to see them.

I've hunted for 32 years and I've seen every scenario. I've made some bad shots. I've also missed a couple times. Most of my shots resulted in dead game.

I put myself in this guy's shoes. My first deer I shot a little far back. We looked for it all day. Couldn't find it. My dad found it, alive but weak, the next day. I was in the cabin so I could go out and give it the finishing shot. I had to go back to school the following day and was leaving shortly that day. Almost the same situation this guy had.

My 9 year old son shot a nice 8-pointer last year with his bow. Hit the shoulder but didn't get good penetration. We tracked it for 2 whole days. Lost it. He was in tears. I told every hunter up there to be on the look-out for it and hoped somebody would finish it. The coyotes ended up finding.

It happens.

This is the guy's first bear. Maybe his only bear. I say he gets it mounted.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:11 AM
Spike

I am sorry this thread wnet south. In hindsight I am guessing it was the way I asked the question. I apologize to those I have offended and those I called out in a less than flattering way. I do apologize. I don't want to be a cancer on your site nor do I want some kid coming along and reading this. If you have a response to my original questikon, please continue to provide the feedback.

Ultimately it was a bad deal, I was trying to still honor the bear and memory of the bear since the rest of the bear went to waste. That is why iwas considering taxidermy. Also as a hunter I hold a special place I my heart for my 'first'. I guess that is why I asked if you thought the bear was my harvest.

I appreciate the points about how I will feel when I look at that bear hanging on the wall and I think your right, I won't feel good about it. I will be getting the hide tanned and maybe give it to my nephew or another family member who is just getting into hunting that will think it is pretty cool and not need all the specifics of the hunt. I just don't want the animal s death to be a total waste.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

good for you, I can see how this has happened and feel bad for you. Better luck next time.

I am sure that after all the advise you got here you will be a perfect hunter, that just never post anything bad.

But in all honesty, I believe these topics do more good than bad. People might get a little excited in what they are saying but good things do come out of it.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Number of years ago I shot a buck shot felt good, blood on the ground at the site was what you want, looked like lung hit but within 50 yards threw a big clot and no more blood. I backed out for several hours came back with help and we searched but couldn't find my buck. I came back the next day searching for the deer or birds but nothing. Next following morning I found roosted ravens not more then 150 from where the blood petered out. Had searched every spot in my mind this buck curled and dropped into a slough, only place I didn't search...actually didn't know it was their because of the diamond willows. I dragged him out meat was not fit but had to see what happened! Shot was good but his entrance wound must of sealed up, no pass through. I tagged the deer and carried out the rack...end of deer season. He doesn't sit on my wall, I know he didn't suffer as I centre punched his lungs but I felt I failed as a hunter in finding this deer in due time. I know other guys who'd say why tag it, if you can't eat. Don't beat yourself up? Yet others would say why didn't you check there sooner? ETC For me it was the right thing to do to search and tag the deer(in my mind my season was done even if I never found the deer that day...I felt I failed)!

My point is sheet happens when hunting, we all know this! What we do when it happens is all based on our own values or based on the situation at had. You have to live with your decisions. The rest is just opinions and no one can tell YOU how to feel.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ducks and Bucks, whether you claim it or not is really a personal decision, only you can say if it's something you'd be proud of.

I would like to address the "waste" part. Nothing goes to waste in nature. If the bear is down and dead and left there, the critters will feast on it, what's left will turn into fertilizer, so it's not a waste, nature uses it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.