Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
do you eat black bear meat? >

do you eat black bear meat?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

do you eat black bear meat?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

i always get a kick out the feed to the dog type comments. i have eaten everything i ever hunted and fixed it the way you would beef. this includes black bear and it has all been good. we did a taste test one time on bear burgers vs buffalo burgers. only problem was that once we had cooked it we forgot which was which and were also unable to tell any difference in taste. i believe it is all perception. i know people that wont eat venison if they know what it is but if you feed it to them without telling them they will love it.

one thing i have always wondered about is grizzly bear meat. i have never heard of anyone eating it and i believe it is about the only type of meat you don't have to recover in Alaska. does anyone know what the issue is with this?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

The dog has to eat too.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

I had better luck making a stew out of mine. I tried several different steaks and such but no luck. The stew was great. Made it just like deer stew.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Spike

Thumbs up Bear Meatloaf

Ground bear meat, bread crumbs, cheese, chopped onion, and bacon. Mix meat, crumbs, cheese, and onion like a beef meatloaf and shape it and put in a pan. Spread bacon over the top. Bake until done since bear has more fat. I can't say how long or how hot because someone else made it but that's the ingredients and the process they used.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

Before my mom passed away, she cooked us some bear from one i had killed! she boiled the meat for a little while to rid it of some of the grease. it was awesome! Im pretty sure my little sister would fist fight a grown man for the last bowl of it!
Old 09-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Typical Buck

Back in the 1980's, we were too far into a case of Stroh's and decided to grill some bear steaks. Covered them with Adolf's meat tenderizer and threw them on a charcoal grill. It was, of course, godawful, and we were probably lucky not to get trichonosis. When I have had good bear, its been treated like beef, but think chuck roasts or stew meat, not steaks. I think my friend's mom cooked it in a pressure cooker. Bear also makes good sausage (but then again, just about every thing does).
Old 09-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

Nothen wrong with Bear meat as long as you trim all the fat off, Only thing the fats good for are cracks in your hands . that only if you can stand the smell!!
Old 09-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dog loves it, but he licks his azz too. So, not a good example.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:37 AM
Spike

6 to 8 Years ago I got North Woods Maine Bear Camp Cook's recipes for bear.

All roasts, steaks, stews etc. continue to be big hit with my friends and family.

Would be happy to share any or all....