Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Hunters, any of you ever had your weapon fail in the field? >

Hunters, any of you ever had your weapon fail in the field?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunters, any of you ever had your weapon fail in the field?

Old 09-07-2003, 12:45 AM

Default RE: Hunters, any of you ever had your weapon fail in the field?

Last year my scope slid on my Savage 30-06 116 FCSAK and it took me 5 shots to put down a running elk at 300+ yards. I did hit it good three times though, I just could' nt turn the scope off 9 power. It all worked out but I was getting a little worried for a while.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep also had mine freeze up and also fell one time and broke the stock off,Now thats a failure.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:51 AM

I was taking careful aim at a nice doe on the last day of blackpowder season a few years back. I waited for just the right moment before I pulled the trigger. I squeezed ever so slowly .........click.
The cap had fallen off the nipple of my Lyman Great Plains rifle. I still use that rifle but check the cap religiously now.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:22 PM

I can' t say that I have. It must be because they are Winchester' s.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:00 PM

No
Old 09-11-2003, 01:01 AM

I was sitting a post opening day of MI deer season as a kid when I noticed a metal clank every time I repositioned. Finally, I found the source of the noise. My scope mount had come loose.

I had to hike back to the cabin to repair the scope and re-sight the rifle. I learned a good lesson that year. I have never had an equipment failure that prevented me from continuing the hunt since.

Old 09-12-2003, 02:04 AM

i' ve had a friend who had a browning rifle fail due to dust/dirt in the bolt that blocked the firing pin.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

I have had a reload not fire for me costing Me a chance at a very nice Buck.
I also had my gun lever action lock up on Me,But that is because of the age of the Gun I figured,It was My old marlinwhile racking in a shell it locked up ,But I found that the input pan cover had slipped down some so with a little work I got it back up and in working order.
Funny thing is I was thinking, Gee this gun isn' t that old but got to calculating the years I' ve owned it and came up to 29 yrs old,then I thought to myself well maybe this old girl needs a little more TLC so I took it to the gunsmith for a good going over.The gun smith told me it was in great shape BUT just like you and me parts wear out with age.I looked at him and said I' m not worn out true I can' t run as fast jump as high and..........well maybe things do wear out with age .LOL
Old 09-14-2003, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea! A set of poor quality Weaver mounts. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:31 PM
Typical Buck

I had a manufacturer malfunction some years back. Jumped off my horse to git a shot at a herd bull movin' his harem right across the trail in front of my string. Jerked my guide gun from the scabbard, led him a lil (he weren' t movin' too fast) an' " click" . Uh oh, wet primer I figure. Jack another round in, now he' s in the brush but I still see an openin' an' he stops right there. " Click" again. Now the herd' s movin' good an' fast zig zaggin' thru the quakies. I look down at my rifle tryin' to figure out how I got two bum primers in a row. Then I notice thet funny lil' red thing ain' t stickin' out the right side of the receiver like it should. Damn hammer block safety! What dumb donut hole figured a hammer cockin' saddle gun needed one of them doohickeys what are guaranteed to git turned on in a scabbard? I still think of thet bull when I look at the blank spot on my wall I had reserved for him. Oh well, least I got a story outta the experience.

Quick Reply: Hunters, any of you ever had your weapon fail in the field?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.