Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Guide or DIY for elk?

Old 07-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll give you my insight, being a easterner from upstate NY. Always been a avid whitetail hunter, turkey hunter, camper, etc. Archery is my passion. I researched for 3yrs on a western Colorado hunt. Not rich, middle road income, family, kids. I looked into guided, semi guided, drop camps, trespass fee's, and diy hunts. I was concerned about price, and having a good trip. I had NO Elk experience, never been outwest at all, and knew noone lived out west. I read alot, and decided if going to do it, do it so I don't have to worry about all the unknowns. It'd probably be a 1x thing. So I made the plunge and went fully guided. The preparations for a first time western elk hunt- archery fully guided was enough. I had a blast, I loved it. I had NO regrets. To this day I dream of those mountains, and scenery. Would I have enjoyed it in other ways. Sure, but who knows how much. If I knew more about it back then, sure I'd done different. I've been back 3 more times since, and have no problems with a DIY hunt. So I'd suggest its all in how much you know about the area, and your experience. Becasue trust me eastern to eastern hunter. The west, and chasing Elk is a whole different ball game! You'll be totaly amazed!
Old 07-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BuckAlley
I'll give you my insight, being a easterner from upstate NY. Always been a avid whitetail hunter, turkey hunter, camper, etc. Archery is my passion. I researched for 3yrs on a western Colorado hunt. Not rich, middle road income, family, kids. I looked into guided, semi guided, drop camps, trespass fee's, and diy hunts. I was concerned about price, and having a good trip. I had NO Elk experience, never been outwest at all, and knew noone lived out west. I read alot, and decided if going to do it, do it so I don't have to worry about all the unknowns. It'd probably be a 1x thing. So I made the plunge and went fully guided. The preparations for a first time western elk hunt- archery fully guided was enough. I had a blast, I loved it. I had NO regrets. To this day I dream of those mountains, and scenery. Would I have enjoyed it in other ways. Sure, but who knows how much. If I knew more about it back then, sure I'd done different. I've been back 3 more times since, and have no problems with a DIY hunt. So I'd suggest its all in how much you know about the area, and your experience. Becasue trust me eastern to eastern hunter. The west, and chasing Elk is a whole different ball game! You'll be totaly amazed!
Here's another angle. Had you done a DIY. You'd have saved enough money to come do it again, and use the experience you learned the first time. Maybe two more times depending on what you paid for the hunt.

Did you get an elk?
Old 07-28-2012, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

Went out west for the first time elk hunting with a bow on DIY hunt when I was 23 I am now 41 and haven't missed a year yet went from thinking were in the hell do I start to getting in elk with in a day or two. One thing about DIY for me is what I have learned about elk hunting public ground OTC unit is priceless. It took about 4 years to real get a grip on what elk hunting is about. Just get out there and put in the time . And if you go you have to go for at least 10 days of hunting. Hunt for sign then hunt for elk .

Good luck
Shane
Old 08-01-2012, 03:27 AM
Typical Buck

Archery Elk hunting is a whole different game than rifle hunting elk. Rifle you may get a couple of chances to seal the deal but archery it's usually a one time shot in a five to seven day period. Your best be is get in them woods start finding good fresh elk sign and plant yourself off a well used elk trail and hunt that spot everyday all day long. If your into learning about the species and not just killing one then by all means adventure maybe you'll bump into one.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Spike

Default Interested in Idaho?

Well....... I have some room in my camp this year due to my hunting buddies from Florida not being able to come out. There are still 139 non resident elk tags left in my unit. My open dates are from 10/19 thru 11/3/2012. Best week would be the week of the 26th. Camp is a large, comfortable, typical western wall tent camp on the edge of a huge gated area. You can drive to camp. I AM NOT a guide nor is this a guided hunt in any way. I just have soom room in camp this year and would like to help some one out. I am esp. interested in a youth 22 to 17 yrs being included and using the great discounted tag costs of an Idaho youth mentored elk hunt. total youth cost ids around $ 60.00 tag and license! This would be a good way for you to learn the ropes of elk hunting.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

For a first time, money aside, I"d recommend and outfitter. It doesn't have to be just a shooting trip. YOu can learn alot from a guide. Based on my experience, limited to 3 trips with an outfitter, I've learned to call, and learned a bit about how to find elk. I'd love a DIY, but when I started, I chose the outfitted route to up my odds of running into elk. From NH, I'd never seen one outside a farm, had no clue where, or how to find them.

It was a worthwhile investment for me and my choices. More power to the DIY guys, while I can financially swing an annual DIY trip, I can't do it for other reasons, my one every 3-5 years when I get to go, I'll take the outfitter. It's not a guarentee, but when you are honest with them and want to learn, my experience with them says you will learn. Last trip out, i called in a bull for my wife while the guide was with her and I was back calling.