Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Guide or DIY for elk?

Old 07-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Spike

Default What is the ultimate goal?

This may sound like a broken record, but it really depends on what you want to end up with when it's all done. If I were to go on a caribou hunt in Alaska and I know it would be a one time deal and I want to have a decent trophy to bring back home then yes I would do a guided hunt (if I had the financial means). But if I had plans to do this year after year and I wanted to save some money or I truely wanted to learn how to hunt that species then I would dive in head first as a do it yourself, and in the meantime trying to learn as much as you can on the way knowing that eventually it will pay off (which in the long run is a lot more rewarding). The bottom line is do you just want to buy an elk rack to hang on the wall or do you truely want to earn it.

Ironically, I have talked to outfitters who say that a lot of clients are rich doctor/lawyer types who don't really care if they drop $10K to spend a week with thier drinking buddies and whatever they shoot doesnt really matter. So again it goes back to what is your ultimate goal and its up to you to do whatever you want.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the help, definitely DIY,cant wait to get at it
Old 07-15-2012, 04:32 AM
Dominant Buck

3 of us eastern deer hunters tried it out in SE Colorado 6 years ago. None of us had ever seen an elk much less hunted them. We wanted to do DIY rifle and stayed in a motel and drove each day to an area we could hunt. We learned a lot about elk hunting and as luck would have it we stumbled upon a nice herd of cows and a few bulls. We got 2 cows and a 5X5. It was rewarding to have all our research pan out and packing those animals out with pack frames was hard work but added to the experience. Since that time one of my hunting partners bought a cabin out there and so now we have a comfortable place to stay nearer to the area we hunt. It has been 6 years and we have hunted out there every year with great success. We are all very skilled at eastern deer hunting with spot and stalk as well as still hunting methods. Hunting elk is about the same way only you are allowed less mistakes and the altitude and rugged terrain works against you. Getting into great shape is really important and if you are a good hunter the rest will fall into place. Unlike deer hunting though....elk can be there one day and gone the next. If you see sign keep at it until you find them. If not move to another area. Scent control is very difficult due to ever changing thermals out west. I find staying down wind more important in elk hunting than deer. The deer will run off to the next ridge, swamp or woodline. The elk will go miles and might not come back.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:31 AM
Spike

When are you planning to go stormy and what GMU are you thinging about? We might be able to help each other out while there if we are going at the same time.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Spike

The 2nd or 3rd week of September, gmu 71 or 711

me and my father are going and the time frame depends if he has to stay or no, and that depends on if a hurricane is heading are way.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

The concensus seems to be DIY. DIY is great. That is what I do. I agree it is likely more rewarding than going with an outfitter, at least if the DIY hunt and camp are reasonably managed and handled. Now if you burn down your tent, if you cut your foot off with an ax, and myriad other things that may happen to a total neophyte who boldly goes out on a DIY hunt . . . maybe less satisfaction than an outfitted hunt.

In any case, do not delay to make an elk hunt at your next opportunity. If you are concerned you are not ready for a DIY hunt because you have to learn too much, do an outfitted hunt and learn from that. If you keep your eyes open and observe what is going on and ask questions, you'll learn in an outfitted hunt, too. You can see an elk gutted and quartered. You can see how a well managed camp is set up and run. You can develop an appreciation for the physical challenge of hiking around the mountains. Maybe you can learn something about elk sign, elk calls, elk habits. Maybe you can learn something about finding elk and/or glassing for elk.

If you are already familiar with the mountains and with camping in the woods, maybe DIY is the way for you to start out. It really isn't that hard, you just need to have confidence in your abilities and be willing to do the hard work that goes with DIY. Think things through. Ask questions from experienced people.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Good post and advice Alsatian.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:12 PM
Spike

Afraid we will not be there at the same time Stormy. I am doing the second rifle. Have a good time and I wish you luck.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Spike

Default First elk hunt

If you're only going once, you might want to hire a guide. If you want to be an elk hunter you need to do as some of the others have said here - get out there on your own and learn. Like the rest of us, you'll make lots of mistakes, but you'll love (almost) every minute of it. And the first time you get close in on a screaming bull you'll be hooked for life. Bringing a smile to my face just thinking about it.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Banned

Why SW Colo? If I had more money than brains . . . and was strictly a head hunter . . . I would not hesitate to go with an outfitter. I used to guide for an outfitter and all our clients went that route because they sought a trophy animal.
If you are comfortable with your camping/motel/ or whatever, and feel confident in your outdoor skills, then do the OTC elk tag DIY hunt. You really should not come by yourself. Bring a kid, wife, brother-in-law, friend, anything. You screw up in these mountains, and you can quickly become a statistic. If you do get an elk, imagine carrying out a dead horse down off that mountain! People die every year in the Rockies on their quest to DIY for elk.
A lot of outfitters offer less expensive cow elk hunts if that interests you. This would be an excellent way to get your feet wet and safely too! Check the Colo Division of wildlife site for a list of outfitters. They provide all kinds of info like testimonials, "Plan your hunt" link, Elk Hunting University, as well as regs, maps, etc.
I would suggest the north central, north west corner of the state.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.