HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   What is the best big game hunting bullet I can use ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/367468-what-best-big-game-hunting-bullet-i-can-use.html)

JameBartel 07-12-2012 02:44 AM

What is the best big game hunting bullet I can use ?

I don't re-load so it needs to be factory ammo. What is the best big game hunting bullet I can use in my 308 win. I will be using it on big Canadian whitetails and moose. I just want one bullet for both. What do you recommend ?

http://aquascoop.net/pure-raspberry-...t-reviews.html

Alsatian 07-12-2012 05:34 AM

I would recommend a 180 grain bullet. Then, since you are not reloading, I would recommend you find a commercial load that shoots accurately in your rifle. I find that my rifles exhibit a considerable difference of accuracy among different specific loadings. I do not attribute this to the quality or manufacturing consistency of the commercial loadings but rather to the understanding that rifles are mechanical objects with complicated resonances that respond differently to different inputs -- where the input is a powerful cartridge being fired. As an example, a .25-06 round that shoots well in my rifle may shoot poorly in a rifle owned by my buddy. A different .25-06 round that shoots well in my buddy's rifle may shoot poorly in my rifle.

I would hazard a guess that most modern .308 loadings in 180 grain bullets would be suitable for the game you plan to hunt. The ordinary Remington Core-lokt bullets -- designed for velocities such as those seen in the .30-06 and .308 -- probably hold together well enough for your purposes. If those shoot well, use those. If you find Nosler partitions in a commercial load that shoot well in your rifle, use those. Or if some other bonded type of bullet shoots well in your rifle, use those. Don't, however, use a super duper bullet in a round that doesn't happen to shoot well in your rifle.

Muley Hunter 07-12-2012 06:10 AM

Partition.

Rob in VT 07-12-2012 04:17 PM

I use Federal Premium in 180gr. I prefer the Barnes TSX (Triple Shock). I mainly use this on elk, mule deer, and whitetails. Oh, I shoot it out of a 30-06.

salukipv1 07-13-2012 10:43 AM

Barnes TSX or Tipped-TSX

Swift A-frames are awesome, I'd take them over the Partition any day if possible.

Champlain Islander 07-15-2012 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Rob in VT (Post 3951282)
I use Federal Premium in 180gr. I prefer the Barnes TSX (Triple Shock). I mainly use this on elk, mule deer, and whitetails. Oh, I shoot it out of a 30-06.

I use the same as Rob....probably because I hunt with him. I found the accuracy of the barnes TSX better than the partition with equal or better performance.

Topgun 3006 07-17-2012 01:02 PM

I'm partial to the Hornady Interbond for elk and moose and they'd also be perfect for those big Canadian whitetails.

DSALFINE 07-20-2012 03:02 PM

I like nosler Accubonds. In the end try several brands see which shoot the best out of your gun and stick with it. Accuracy is everything. Diffrent guns eat diffrent ammo better. Find what works in your gun. Good luck this fall! Send your hunting videos to North American Hunting Competition would love to see it. Let me know which bullet you finally choose.

dig4gold 07-24-2012 01:27 PM

I also shoot the .308. If I was stranded on a desert island with large game and could only pick one ammo to use . . . thought I had an answer didn't you?!!
Definitely go with premium ammo. Winchester only comes in 150 grain in 2 ammo's.
So I'd have to say go with Federal Premium P308E for medium range (under 200 yards). It is loaded with 180 gr Nosler Partition. If you're going to be shooting farther than that, then go with the Fed Pre. P308H. That is a 165 gr Barnes Triple Shock. It will give you better accuracy at farther distances. Either round will do the trick.
If you can, get both and take them to the range and see what your gun likes. And practice long shots!

Quicksilver34 07-27-2012 09:51 AM

Fed Pre. P308H. That is a 165 gr Barnes Triple shock

X2