Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Help - 6 day guided bear hunt = skunk >

Help - 6 day guided bear hunt = skunk

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Help - 6 day guided bear hunt = skunk

Old 07-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am proud of the little dude for sticking it out that long in the stand. Especially the times that we had to wait in the dark woods while we waited for the guide to pick us up. That was pretty spooky for me and I'm a grown-up

I'm just to bummed that we couldn't get a bear together. Espcially when talking to every other hunter who has done a hunt like this. They all say you'll be tagged out on the first or 2nd day. They all tell me that you'll see bears all the time, it's just how picky you are that determines whether you tag out in the first hour, day or wait a couple days to get a bigger one.

The guides were shocked that we saw nothing. All my buddies can't believe it. My boy isn't that bummed but I really wanted to have success with him. I have no idea when we'll ever be doing another trip like this. It was suppose to be one of those once-in-a-lifetime deals. Especially since my dad is 81. He won't be able to go with us indefinitely.

I'd love to try again as early as this Fall. But I don't know about vacation, school, money, etc..... I wish they had 3 day hunts in Maine. I'd never be able to swing a week and would hate to pay a week's fare and stay for three days. Oh well. Everyone's probably booked anyway. And I doubt my wife would go for it anyway.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:52 AM
Fork Horn

Just curious, what outfitter did you use?

The only reason I ask, I was thinking of taking my youngest boy in a couple years, I'd like to find a camp in Quebec that has both decent fishing & bear hunting. Any recommendations from other posters would be appreciated.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

"My boy isn't that bummed but I really wanted to have success with him...It was suppose to be one of those once-in-a-lifetime deals."

His perspective may be different than yours relative to the success of that hunt. Several days traveling and hanging out with dad. The whole deal was probably a real adventure to him including the travel, lodging, sitting with his dad over the bait, the time you spent interacting and talking over the whole week... Did he talk about his hunt with dad with his mom, siblings, others? I bet he talked about more than not seeing a bear.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, he had a great time. The road trip was fun. Crossing the border was fun. Seeing Niagra Falls on the way up and The Thousand Islands on the way down was fun. Catching his first pike was fun. Hanging out with other hunters in camp was fun. Seeing everyone else's bears hanging each night was fun . Going to the general store where everything was in French was fun. Getting to drink more soda than mommy allows was fun.

Yep, he had fun. But our expectations were sky-high.

The outfitter was Taggart Bay Lodge. The only reason I am mentioning the name is because everyone else got a bear so there's no way I can give them a bad review. They worked hard for us and even let us hunt an extra day. Just wasn't meant to be, I guess.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys, as a bear outfitter in northern ontario I have come to realize the importance of human scent. I have noticed if I bait all my baits let's say for a week straight then my wife baits, I have found that a couple of my regularly hit baits will change or not be hit at all for a couple of days. Also I have learned from a older outfitter to bait consistently with the same bait. He recommended to me to use donuts, oats soaked in grease, and some meat I use beaver, and to never change the bait after you get them on a certain diet or you might loose the bears you have had coming. My biggest thing about bear hunting now is the use of trail cameras, the pattern is right there infront of you after a couple weeks of baiting. Last yr was my first yr outfitting, patterned the bears and shot the first 4 bears in the first three mornings. Yup mornings!! the first 2 where shot a little after 6 a.m opening day because that's when they where patterned which goes against all bear hunting norm. It could have been bad luck you didn't get a bear but maybe some of this may help you out next time.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

Forgot to mention that the cameras also help identify the baits being hit during the late hours of the night, and helps when tryn to get them off of this routin by either over baiting or under baiting so that they have to come back at different time than normal.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cantrap - we could have been dealing with nocturnal bears. Or, the bears who were hitting the baits were close and just waited us out before hitting the baits.

I talked to the guide about trail cameras. He said that they get destroyed and they'd go through a hundred a year which would not be cost-effective

I no exactly what he's talking about. I've had a few trail cameras destroyed by bears here at home. The last few pictures are always interesting, though
Old 08-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

I would say the switching of baits was the problem. I went on a guided hunt over bait and we stayed on one bait for at least 3 days before moving. Glad your son isn't down about not killing cause theres more to it than the killing part. good luck in the future.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

BRUSE - after the 6th day of sitting and seeing nothing, this is what he said to me:

"hey dad. after this, sitting in the deer blind will be a piece of cake".

If noting else, this trip taught him patience.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

Trail cams r the ticket!! I put my cameras in the little steal boxes you can get for them. Then they r bear proof. I haven't had one damaged and I Use them For my whole bear season. Just tryn to help.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.