Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 WATER Question for an ELK CAMP >

WATER Question for an ELK CAMP

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

WATER Question for an ELK CAMP

Old 09-01-2003, 03:08 PM

Default WATER Question for an ELK CAMP

Going to be in an ELK CAMP in NW WY abour 4 miles from yellowstone. I am told taht the outfitter has used this camps for at least ten years and gets his water out of a Spring near the camp and has done so for several years and has never had a problem!

My question would you trust this or would you still filter the water! I have a new MICRO filter that I plan on taking!

I have gotten sick before and REALLY Dont want to ever go there AGAIN!

ADVICE PLEASE

Old 09-01-2003, 03:14 PM

Default RE: WATER Question for an ELK CAMP

Just saw some new tablets at Sportman' s Warehouse will clean up sewer water in 4 hours, mountain water in 15 min. only 12.00 for package of them, seems like a good investment to take along for sure.

Keith
Old 09-01-2003, 06:45 PM

If you can drink right where it comes out of the ground it should be fine. If its downstream where animals can crap in it you are asking for giardia. Yer doctor can also give you cipro to take which is what mine gives out for mexico trips as the animals crapping in the water might be higher on the food chain. Good luck with the hunt.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Springs in volcanic areas cannot be relied upon. The water often does not filter thru sandstone or a pourous aquifer like in sedimentary rocks. The " springs" in this area can be little more than fissures that water from lakes and runnoff flows thru. No filtering involved. DO NOT DRINK ANY WATER FROM SUCH A SOURCE WITHOUT BOILING, FILTERING, OR CHEMICALLY TREATING. Outfitters are full of sh!t about water. Most of ' em had giardia at one time or another. I had one tell me he' d been drinking lake water near his camp for 20 years with no problem. Its like driving without a seat belt. It only takes once to make a BIG difference. Insist on boiling or filtering water for your personal use. An' if you don' t an' end up spendin' yer trip squirtin' in the bushes an' tendin' to a blood raw bung hole, don' t say I didn' t warn ya.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:14 PM

Twister:

I am a water chemistry consultant in the industrial and commercial industry. I dont specialize in microbiology, but I have a pretty good background.

There are many microorganisms that can be found in water. Giardia (Beaver Fever) and Cryptosporidium (killed about 100 people in Milwaukee in the early 90' s) to name a few. Use your filter, boil, or treat with another commercially available product.

I wouldn' t drink out of the streams unless it was an emergency.

Good luck!

Dan
Old 09-02-2003, 08:30 AM

Why take a chance?
I ALWAYS filter water from any source in the mountains.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why sabotage your hunt, purify your water. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:41 PM

You can get a pretty decent water filter for around $50 that isn' t a chemical treatment that filters out all of the bad guys and with the charcoal filter makes the nastiest water even taste good. We' ve drank lower Colorado river water after filtering it with no problems. I would suggest always packing an extra filter. Especially if the water is murky at all.
Old 09-04-2003, 03:56 PM

If you know there is the potential of packing out four miles are so would you carry the filter with you each day in your pack along the water in you camelbak or water bottle? I thought I might need it simply becuase you never know how long you' ll be out.

i bought the Katdyn micro filter it weight about 20 oz but I think it will last a life time its good for like13000 gallons or some ridculious number like that?

Would you carry it in your pack??
Old 09-04-2003, 04:11 PM

I always carry my water filter in my pack.
Even with an outfitter you should take personal responsiblility for your needs.

Besides if he is giving you water it is probably coming from the spring he has been using back at camp without filtering for years with no problem.

Quick Reply: WATER Question for an ELK CAMP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.