HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Rmef (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/360970-rmef.html)

handloader1 03-22-2012 05:48 PM

Rmef

The Rocky Mountian Elk Foundation (RMEF) is selling the "Double H" Ranch in NM. The ranch was willed to the RMEF plus enough money to run it. The RMEF promises to save habiat for our children, so why are they selling this spectacular ranch in Western NM.

I knew there was a reason I did not sign up with that outfit amongst others!! :nonono2: :nonono2:

Good luck.

Muley Hunter 03-22-2012 06:23 PM

Why not ask them?

txhunter58 03-22-2012 06:34 PM

First I have heard of that. Link to info?

Blackelk 03-24-2012 04:50 AM

I used to donate hunts to RMEF in other states and help run a local committee for several years here in Colorado. But the RMEF started gaining all this land from trusts, donations and even purchases and it all looked like a great wonderful thing reclaiming land for habitat. Not only did it create better easements for elk hunters but also habitats for other animals. But alas the more land you acquire the more taxes you pay the more up keep you have. So the RMEF started handing this land back to the Forest Service and BLM. Some of this land they traded for other area's they claimed more suitable for habitat. Some land traded was far away from the land acquired. Well giving it back to the forest service is not the answer. The Forest Service is yet again loaded with the burden of maintaining the land given to them. Yet again the RMEF keeps purchasing land that they don't have the capital to maintain. It's not a win win situation. My final straw with the RMEF was when they started publishing meadow muffin story's in their magazine and weeding out the real hunting story's. Not to mention all that money spent on a HUGE corporate office building in Montana. The original founders sold out and got some large bucks now it's just like any other big organization all politics and no habitat. I haven't been a member of the RMEF for over a decade and don't see myself going back.

Double H Ranch what a shame. I'd love to run some cattle on that and I'd let Kids hunt free. Make it a Children Hunt only ranch. LOL

Big Uncle 03-24-2012 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Blackelk (Post 3923864)
Not to mention all that money spent on a HUGE corporate office building in Montana. The original founders sold out and got some large bucks now it's just like any other big organization all politics and no habitat. I haven't been a member of the RMEF for over a decade and don't see myself going back.

REMF and IWLA are the only "conservation" organizations that I have ever been a member and quit in disqust. Large buildings and expense accounts.

SCI and NRA get reasonably large contributions from me each year, and the rest goes to local Boy Scouts and conservation clubs.

finnbear 03-24-2012 08:52 AM

The big REMF ranch here in our valley is off limits to everyone NO HUNTING and NO TRESSPASSING, so what happens huting season comes along and all the elk run down and camp out at the heartK .....great for carry over but the harvest rates suck!!!!