Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Bait

Old 03-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Spike

Default Bear Bait

so this year have have decided to try my luck at bear hunting. i have found an area to hunt there arent a ton of bears but there are bears in the area. im just trying to come up with a bait recipe that is effective. any suggestions will be very helpful
Old 03-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where are you hunting?
Old 03-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Spike

Southeast Idaho
Old 03-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

If baiting is legal there, use what most use here.. Jelly donuts and other sweets that they get from local donut shops and or bakeries that have to be thrown out. Some also by them by the barrel full so as to prepare them before the hunt.. Some will also get something like cherry pie filling to pour over it along with bacon fat.. If there is a lot of berries out during your hunting season you may have a hard hunt on your hands.. Some will also use some old chunks of meat for some of the harder to get bruins.. As some bears will not go after the sweets as well as some rotten meat..
Good Luck..
Old 03-24-2012, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

You want options try here. In the least it will give you some ideas.

http://www.bigwoodsbearbait.com/
Old 03-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

Not sure what your laws are, but depending on whats legal where I am hunting, I use cookies, donuts, candy, fry grease, bread, table scraps, dog food, etc... I use a variety of bait so there is always something they really want, but not so much that they can come at night and still get it.
Here is a link to a good "bear specific" tactical forum
http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewforum.php?f=7
Old 04-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Spike

I agree with Bukmastr. Variety is good. Each bear tends to like something a little different.

My favourite mix - popcorn, dogfood, peanuts, used grease, and something sweet(juice crystals, brown sugar, etc). Its bulky enough to keep the bears feeding for a long duration, yet lightweight which makes baiting not such a lug.

And if you're not finding success due to the few bears in the area. Try the rotten meat strung in a tree, or a honey burn.

Good luck!