Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Injured Muley doe (video)

Old 02-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Spike

Default Injured Muley doe (video)

I have zillions of mule deer that hang out right in my backyard (of course, I'm surrounded by beautiful Wyoming hills). As in I'll literally have 8-pt bucks sleeping against my big glass back door. I watch the deer from the couch whenever I'm home. Along with the pheasants, hungarian partridges, foxes, pronghorns, etc.

But anyways, I noticed one of the does has a funny gait yesterday. Her hind legs are very stiff, and she jerks them up to her belly with each step. The right hind seems to be especially affected. I believe I can see some kind of wound on her left hock, I can't see anything on the right hind (and I have seen her from both sides, this video only shows her from one angle). But I'm not sure if that wound would be causing such pronounced lameness.

I saw her again this morning, and I grabbed the camera to take a video. I'm curious to see what others think of it. What might be causing her lameness? Maybe a coyote tried to bring her down and wounded her? Some kind of infection from a wound? She looks healthy otherwise, I wouldn't suspect some kind of disease. I feel bad for the poor girl, as both a vet tech and a hunter my automatic instinct is to either fix it or end it, lol. I'm guessing she'll be a coyote feast pretty soon, but in the meantime, I do feel bad watching her limp around.

Anyways, thoughts? (click on the link, it'll take you to the video)
http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/b...urrent=012.mp4
Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

She acted a tad stiff, but I don't think there is any big problem and would guess that she'll be fine.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

She does look overall to be healthy enough. Don't underestimate the resiliency of a deer to rebound back for injury or illness. Let us know how she fairs.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Spike

Hi Prairienights, looks like you got the perfect place lots of animals,do you by any chance let people hunt for a price,Im a 100% dis. vet and i cant walk to far so that would be cats for me,if you want to make a few dollars email me back thank you
My [email protected]