Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wy antelope

Old 02-09-2012, 05:51 AM
Spike

Default Wy antelope

Need help finding a ranch in Wy. that has a reasonable trespass fees, that you have hunted or heard good things about, in a area that takes 0 pts. This is our 1st antelope hunt so size is not too important.
Thanks
Ron
Old 02-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Banned

I see you're from PA. I imagine private property hunting back east is a real rarity and premium if you can get it for less than several mortgage payments.
But this is Wyoming. Land mass is just under 98,000 square miles of antelope habitat (take away 714 sq miles of water). Out of that state total, more than 48% is owned by the Federal Gov't. BLM, Nat'l Forest, etc. A large portion is owned by the state called "Trust Land".
Most of THAT is legal to hunt on. So we don't try and find land owners for permission to hunt speed goats. If anything, they would pay you to take a few off of their land.
In fact, the Antelope tag has a coupon that you give the landowner for every lope you take and the G&F pays them $16.00!
So don't limit your area search to private lands . . . you'd be hurting your chances. There are more antelope in Wyoming than people and there are many places with a reputation for "nice" lopes.
Keep in mind that non-residents antelope tags are drawing only in Wyoming (resident tags too for that matter). And the drawing dates are from Jan 1 to Mar 15th each year. You can apply on line.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Btw with a rifle, the difference between any antelope, a dink, a respectable, and a monster is not very much at all, so learn as best you can how to judge them, and simply shooting a slightly bigger antelope than the other ones you see could mean a booner vs. a dink, 5" is about 1/2" more at each measurement!
Old 02-14-2012, 04:52 AM
Spike

We are not after anything big, just wanted to go Antelope hunting.
Thanks
Ron
Old 02-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

The main thing to look for is heavy black down below the tips of the ears, which means he has decent mass, and cutters (prongs) a decent ways above the ear tips. Also, if the horns go out and around in somewhat of a heart shape it will really add to the length measurement compared to one that goes more upright. Most don't realize that the four mass (circumference) measurements on each horn are really what makes the score on an antelope.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Spike

Don't pay to hunt Antelope in wyoming
Old 02-17-2012, 06:17 AM
Spike

Been there 3 time 100% kills loved it ,I live in fayette co,. Where are you.You are welcome to come see them.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:44 AM
Spike

Default HeadHunter

I live in Cambria County, in the country outside Johnstown.
I have see lots of dead antelope. I am a taxidermist.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just read about the severe winter kill of deer and antelope, I thought this winter has been mild?
Old 02-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

There's been no winterkill anywhere out in Wyoming as it's been about as easy a winter as they will ever have out there, whereas last winter was one of the worst in the northeast and southwest parts of the state. That goes for almost all the states out west back through the plains to the midwest where our winter has been as easy as I can ever remember here in Michigan.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 02-18-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.