Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
The big debate , ! Nervous! >

The big debate , ! Nervous!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

The big debate , ! Nervous!

Old 01-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Spike

Default The big debate , ! Nervous!

NEW GUY HERE, THE WIFE AND I ARE GETTING ARE WYOMING ANTELOPE HUNT STUFF TOGETHER. NOW WE HAVE 2 OPTIONS #1 FULL OUTFITTED HUNT. or OPTION # 2 SEMI GUIDED PRIVATE LAND . #2 WOULD SAVE MONEY BUT I DONT WANT TO RUIN A HUNT. THIS IS OUR FIRST OUT WEST HUNT, . WE ARE NOT IDIOTS WE HAVE ALL OUR GEAR, BIPODS, RANGE FINDER, ECT; WE PRACTICE WITH OUR RIFLE ALOT, SO WHAT TO DO ??? HELP ME OUT HERE IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY.......! WHAT SHOULD WE DO.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

I would go for the private land, in a good area. Antelope hunts seem to be pretty high success rate. Not speaking from experience here, just what I've read. But if your a competent hunter, in a good area. You'll get lopes
-Jake
Old 01-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Spike

thanks jake, I am leaning that way. Just have to study up on caping an animal, Yikes ! lol:
Old 01-21-2012, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

Look online for rancher who allow walk in access for a fee or knock on some doors while your out here. I don't hunt antelope myself but I see a lot of them while hunting rabbits, cyotes and prarie dogs. Most of the ranches I hunt in colorado for varmits the owner will usually let you hunt antelope but not deer.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy and I did the same thing a few years ago in South Dakota. I'd say don't spent money on a fully outfitted hunt. We knew nothing about antelope. Got hooked up with a rancher. He just showed us where the antelope were. If you can find water, the antelope will be somewhere near there. We had 3 tags filled by 4:00 on day one. Quit hunting to cut up and bone out goats. It was 85 degreees. We had all the tags filled by 9:00 on day 2. Have lots of ice and big coolers.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

If there was ever a hunt that a guide was not needed for it's an antelope hunt!

honestly if you find public land you'll have 100% shot opportunity, maybe not 100% on a monster antelope buck.

Study what antelope look like! try to look at 70-80" bucks, if you're looking for a trophy at least. the difference between 70 and 80 isn't much at all! and 80 and 85 even less!

They're hard to judge!

Honestly the best benefit to a guide would probably be to help you judge the size of a buck.

if you're going to be on private land, esp a large amount of private land, btw land doesn't go far out west, 1 sq mi 640acres is a drop in the bucket...fyi.

if a guide will calm some nerves etc... it might be worth it, but paying probably 1000-3000 for a guided antelope hunt certainly isn't required.

honestly if you're not going to do a guided hunt, private land isn't required either.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Spike

The success rate on many antelope hunts hovers around 100%. If you have a few days to invest and can shoot well you should both tag out with nice bucks on the private land hunt. It is a lot of fun. Read everything you can about how to judge them. Mike Eastman's book Hunting Trophy Antelope is a good investment. Take lots of pics!
Old 01-22-2012, 04:19 AM
car
Typical Buck

My vote is DTY on antelope. If you start now doing your homework you'll have a successful hunt. I've taken antelope every time I've went out west hunting them.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Have never hunted out west but would like to. Me and a friend started buying points in Wyoming this year. I recently subscribed to Eastman's magazine, which also gives you access to their website. Lots of good state-specific and management area-specific info there.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:03 AM
Spike

Thank you all, Its done deal DIY for us, ! Heres hoping we draw, Let you know how it turns out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.