Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
North America vs Southern Africa Species chart. >

North America vs Southern Africa Species chart.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

North America vs Southern Africa Species chart.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Spike

This is a funny, i have had it the other way arround and then guys told me to swap them arround, now i am not sure anymore :-)

What i understand and please correct me, but the white tail has quite a few variations.. so what i did is i used www.scirecordbook.org as a reference for most species.. the chart is intended for trophy hunters.. so comparing with records species i expected to be ok..

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Pretty cool chart.

You have the mule deer and whitetail mixed up. The muley is the bigger deer.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Spike

Thanks Gents, a quick response on some of the things mentioned, as per my reply i used www.scirecordbook.org as my data source because i found the WIKI's and various sources i used varied to mush, so i used something standardized and related to the trophy hunting source....

as for the elephant, i might be wrong but i thought that to be a bot obvious, people know they are bigger than anything else :-) the plains and smaller species is where most of my confusion was...

As for the info, i know there might be some variations, the intention is not a scientific document but rather a simple visual comparison to have an idea what to expect..

I will investigate the Mule/WT thing more could you guys give me some guidelines what would be considered more accurate.

Thank you for all the positive feedback... and advice please keep it rolling.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

add dumbo already!
Old 01-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Spike

Just a couple of observations... While not common, whitetail do reach weights in excess of 300#. Bucks this big are taken every year in Alberta and I'm sure in other northern locations. (In accordance with Bergmann's rule, the further North a species lives, the larger the body size as the smaller surface to volume ratio conserves heat loss)

Black bears range in weight from 100# to over 700#. But a check of numerous state game agencies indicate the average size taken by hunters to be around 250 pounds.

Note that from a trophy hunting standpoint, neither deer nor bear are judged by weight, but rather antler size and skull size respectively.

Finally, South Africa does have elephant, althought now almost all are confined to parks and reserves. I have seen and photographed many in Kruger.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

The mule deer is the larger of the two Odocoileus species, with a height averaging about 40–42 inches (100–110 cm) at the shoulders and a nose-to-tail length of about 80 inches (200 cm). Adult bucks normally weigh 150–300 pounds (68–140 kg), although trophy specimens may weigh around 450 pounds (200 kg); does weigh around 125–175 pounds (57–79 kg).[8] Unlike the whitetail, the mule deer does not show marked size variation across its range.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

You definitly have the mule deer and the white tail mixed up. Mule deer is significantly larger than the white tail.

Your also missing some species - most notably the blacktail deer and the sitka deer (which we can hunt wild in the salt water coastal swamps of Maryland and Virginia (they have them on fame farms in Texas, but in Maryland/Virginia they are a true wild population).

Also, you are right that there is significant variation in size of white tail deer. I've seen huge ones in the midwest (basically what you label the Mule Deer as). But along the east coast (and especially in the south east) I'd say their height is closer to 37 inches and they weigh more in the 120-140 pound range (as a trophy).
Old 01-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Chart

That was a very good idea. Not to mention a good chart!

Thanks for posting it.