Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
North America vs Southern Africa Species chart. >

North America vs Southern Africa Species chart.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

North America vs Southern Africa Species chart.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Spike

Default North America vs Southern Africa Species chart.

Hi All,

As a South African i have always had a problem visualizing North American species in comparison with the Africa Species when people talked about it.

I finally got to a point where i decided i needed to make sense of this for myself..

So i created a Chart which compared the species based on Shoulder height and weight alone.. so you can say it is a dimension comparison.

I would really like input from you guys if you would.. is this insightful, would it help for instance a newby to get a better idea of what to expect when planning a Africa Safari..
-------------------
Update: for some reason i am having problems uploading the file to the site..
here is a link to the chart http://www.africahuntingtv.com/north...rn-africa.html

I will try to upload again later..
-------------------

Thanks
Old 01-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

awesome chart!
Old 01-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Spike

Thank you allot...
Old 01-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

That is a cool chart. After looking at that chart it would be safe to assume that a .243 for the small antelope and a .30-06 for the large antelope would be all you would need for every thing but the cape buffalo. I did not realize exactly how big some of your animals in Africa were compared to ours. Very informative chart thanks for sharing that.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

With just a quick glance, it looks like a very good chart. I'll look over it closer later when I have time. I'd give my .30-06 a try on anything in that list though, maybe I'm just young and dumb. Shot placement shot placement shot placement. I have read some scary stories about cape buffalo though.
-Jake
Old 01-19-2012, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pretty cool chart.

You have the mule deer and whitetail mixed up. The muley is the bigger deer.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

hate to be a sore thumb, but, are there no elephants in S.A
the chart is cool, as mentioned the muley is wrong. can we add the elephant anyways? and fix the muley/wt? this chart is definitely a keeper!
Old 01-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

The chart does look good. People mentioned the whitetail/mule deer mixup. Other minor things I see would be where do you get your weights?? Are these averages? The reason I ask is this: Your weight for a whitetail looks like 286 lbs, this would be a HUGE whitetail. Not impossible, but a huge whitetail. Your weight for the black bear is 297lbs. This would be AVERAGE for an adult bear. Black bear have gone over 700lbs and many are shot when they're in the 100lbs range. So where do you get the weights? If they're averages there are some that are off.
-Jake
Old 01-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
The chart does look good. People mentioned the whitetail/mule deer mixup. Other minor things I see would be where do you get your weights?? Are these averages? The reason I ask is this: Your weight for a whitetail looks like 286 lbs, this would be a HUGE whitetail. Not impossible, but a huge whitetail. Your weight for the black bear is 297lbs. This would be AVERAGE for an adult bear. Black bear have gone over 700lbs and many are shot when they're in the 100lbs range. So where do you get the weights? If they're averages there are some that are off.
-Jake
The weight and size is the part that's mixed up on the deer. The pictures are fine.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great Chart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.