HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Wyoming Wolf Delisting - Public Comment Period (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/355647-wyoming-wolf-delisting-public-comment-period.html)

AK Jeff 12-19-2011 09:15 PM

Wyoming Wolf Delisting - Public Comment Period

The federal government is taking public comments on the proposal to finally delist wolves in Wyoming. You can rest assured that the anti-hunting groups like Defenders of Wildlife, Center for Biological Diversity, and Earthjustice will be out in force to get their members to comment on this proposal to try to get it shot down. We need hunters to voice their opinions as well so the state of Wyoming can take control of wolf management. This "endangered" wolf debacle has gone on long enough and needs to come to an end. You can comment by going to the link below and clicking on "Submit a Formal Comment" in the upper right corner.

http://www.federalregister.gov/artic...om-the-federal

Be sure to spread the word. The anti-hunting community is very vocal so the hunting community needs to be equally vocal and support this proposal.

The deadline to comment is January 13, 2012.

jerry d 12-20-2011 01:40 PM

Done deal Jeff thanks for the heads up.

Here's an article taken off another site about the elk herd in MT. What's your opinion on this? I remember you saying you use to live there.I'm not familiar with the area their doing the the study so i don't know if it's a highly populated wolf area or not.I would like your opinion on this study.......thanks
http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubb...=1#Post2676707

AK Jeff 12-20-2011 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by jerry d (Post 3892342)
Done deal Jeff thanks for the heads up.

Here's an article taken off another site about the elk herd in MT. What's your opinion on this? I remember you saying you use to live there.I'm not familiar with the area their doing the the study so i don't know if it's a highly populated wolf area or not.I would like your opinion on this study.......thanks
http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubb...=1#Post2676707

Good job Jerry!!! Yes, I grew up in Montana and still spend a good amount of time there. That study was done in the Bitterroot area of western Montana which has a very strong wolf population. In fact that area is being singled out as a spot where the wolf population should be reduced. Obviously the results of the winter mortality will show a more complete picture of wolf predation.

I'm certainly not anti-wolf by any means. I've probably spent more time just watching them in the wild than most people, but I've had no problem dropping the hammer on them given the opportunity. The real problem is the complete failure of the ESA and the total disregard for state wildlife management that has come about from the current Northern Rockies wolf scenario. When you can take an animal as common as the gray wolf, slap it with an "endangered" label and then force it down the throats of people who didn't want them in the first place, and then break every promise that was ever made regarding their reintroduction something in the system is seriously broken. The wolf is really being used as a tool to eliminate hunting from the west which is really the stronghold of hunter activity in the US. There is room for wolves in the west, but not if they're going to be left to run amuck with no real control mechanisms in place.

The real problem is just what the whole mess has done to legitimate wildlife conservation. Take for example the state of Alaska and wood bison. Alaska has spent millions and spent years trying to release a quarantined herd of wood bison up here. The problem is they're listed as endangered under the ESA and Alaska has watched the whole wolf mess and doesn't want a repeat. Canada has thousands of wood bison in multiple herds so they certainly aren't in jeopardy of going extinct. Of course the anti-hunting groups that I mentioned in my previous post don't want them delisted because they can abuse the ESA and the Equal Access to Justice Act to make money with their frivelous lawsuits. Alaska has enough wood bison habitat just in the Yukon Flats to easily support a herd of 4,000+ but as long as they're ESA listed they'll stay in their little fenced enclosure by Portage. It's a real shame because the potential for having an incredible wood bison herd and some great hunting opportunities exists, but the ESA is just a giant roadblock.

We as hunters need to step up and protect what we've built over the last century as a valued wildlife resource to be enjoyed by generations to come. The anti-hunting community want wolves to be their proxy for the elimination of our way of life. At least one anti group has said they want at least a thousand wolves in Colorado. It doesn't take a genius to do the math on that. Studies in Yellowstone found that the average wolf was responsible for about one elk kill every two weeks or 26 per year. A thousand wolves in Colorado would equal 26,000 elk kills per year. Now try and tell me with a straight face that that wouldn't have a drastic effect on elk hunting in Colorado. Wyoming has a valid wolf plan that keeps wolves in the wilderness areas, but doesn't allow them to proliferate everywhere and they should be given the opportunity to implement their plan. I'll get off the soap box now.

Thanks again for commenting Jerry.

Jeff

jerry d 12-21-2011 12:51 PM

You're welcome Jeff and thanks for the heads up.

jamiecarter 12-22-2011 08:52 PM

This is a very interesting topic! Just a while ago, I also read an article connected with this sensational issue. The post was entitled "Gray Wolves taken off Endangered Species List".

As we all know, for the past forty years, the U.S Fish and Wildlife Service has protected the population of the gray wolf in some states such as Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. After expending millions of dollars on the survival of the said species, the recovery goals were met. The gray wolf will be taken off the Endangered Species List because the populations of the wolves in the Great Lakes region are now strong and no longer need government protection.

However, the lifted protection could pave the way for wolf hunting seasons, and this is definitely a menace! That is why wolf relocation has been suggested so that they can thrive and not be hunted. Well, I just hope that wolf recovery will continue to aggrandize, and people must realize that gray wolves must not be feared because the key with wolves is human tolerance.

country1 12-23-2011 09:05 AM

The wolf population should and needs to be kept in check with hunting. Watch the Crying Wolf Movie documentary if you have any doubts.

jerry d 12-23-2011 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by country1 (Post 3893575)
The wolf population should and needs to be kept in check with hunting.

It's the most cost effective and proven method to keep ANY wildlife speices in balance. Anytime seasons on speices are closed wildlife and mankind collide.A few examples that come to mind are : Black Bears in N.J. , Mountain Lions in N. California and Wolves in MT.

MizzouMonster 12-24-2011 08:57 AM

What other states do is their business, but I personally have no interest in seeing wolves re-established in Missouri. Wolves bring nothing to the table, you can't eat the damned things, and they just put more pressure on genuine game animals.

Topgun 3006 12-24-2011 09:33 AM

Looks like we have an anti in our midst with the BS that was in their first post on the site!

ihookem1 12-24-2011 10:03 AM

The problem with Jamiecarter is she talks about Wisconsin wolves but has no idea they are so overpopulated that they are on the verge of starving to death or getting mange. They have eaten up 90% of the snowshoe rabbits, beaver,otter, muskrat and deer to the point the red squirrels are even way down on their populations. Wolf populations in Wisconsin took a hit last summer due to mange. I read it on a pro wolf anti hunting web sight. Mange is from over populations and unhealthy wolves. Problem is the antis think numbers went from 650 to 550. If it makes Jamiecarter happy, there are an awful lot of wolves in Wisconsin, most likely several thousand. Even in farm country where the wolf lovers always insisted they could never live, even as far south as the Illinois border, their sightings are being confirmed. Not wolf country by any means. To make matters worse for the wolves the whole upper midwest is completely void of snow. If this keeps up the wolves will be in a world of hurt hundreds will starve and will have a very thin reproduction rate this spring. The most snow is 6" in the whole upper midwest and will be less by tonight. Now they are so common hunters are shooting them out of spite because of the Jamiecarters that think there will never be too many no matter how many there are because wolves seem holy and rightous to to the clueless Jamiecarters. Local wardens seem to be looking the other way along with everyone else including non hunters. Is this what Jamiecarter really wants? Would she rather have this happen to the wolves than have them managed by game managers so the wolves will not over populate, get mange and starve to death? Jamiecarter, if you say let nature take it's course you are no friend of wildlife.