Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New Mexico, cant decide

Old 11-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default New Mexico, cant decide

Got the go ahead from the wife for a hunt next year. She is from Clovis, NM and her family still lives there. We visit every other year, and next year is an off year. We visit at Christmas so hunting really couldn't happen then, even if I were drawn I couldn't do two trips in one year.

I can't decide if I want to do a mulie trip or elk trip. Never hunted outside of NC/SC other than quail in NM. Choices choices. Either way, I'm excited to just be able to apply. If I get draw, great, if not, the refund will be a nice little bump later in the year, to possibly put towards an OTC state.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hunting with an outfitter will greatly increase your drawing odds.

You could try drawing any great elk, mule deer, or antelope tag and hope you draw, odds are you won't draw any great tag if you apply.

You could probably draw a good elk tag with an outfitter and get a deer tag just in case you see a nice one and have a nice combo hunt on hand!

If you bowhunt, don't look pass 1st or 2nd elk seasons.

NM is a great antelope state.

Good luck.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:19 AM
Typical Buck

Not really interested in an outfitter other than possibly a drop camp. I guess I'm just hard headed.

I SHOULD probably get one just to cut my teeth, but I have 4 kids and wife and I both work on tax payer dollars....so we're broke lol.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:46 AM
Typical Buck

Not even sure how to go about picking a unit. Guess Ill just pick one and apply.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

The hot elk units are all of the Gila.... also 34 and 36 are pretty hot.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

I'm not looking for trophy right now, or the once in a life time units until I know more about the game. I'm really looking towards the north part of the state rather than Gila...although the Gila is very tempting.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

15 can be a good unit for big bulls
Old 11-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

Salukipv1.... can 16B be effectively hunted by foot in your opinion? Seems like I ran across a thread where you had hunted there before while I was searching for info on that unit
Old 12-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

15 is a good unit and if you draw it I would suggest hunting the high country about 10 miles northeast of Apache Creek. It would make for a good DIY hunt and you can either set up a camp there or stay at the campground not too far from town.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might want to check into a landowner tag for antelope.

Drawing a tag on deer or elk is going to be tough next year with the nonguided nonresident pool dropping to only 6% of the total tags available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.