Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
What do you guys do with your bear meat? >

What do you guys do with your bear meat?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What do you guys do with your bear meat?

Old 11-21-2011, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

Bear meat is like any other. Some people like it and some don't. I've eaten a lot of bear but I don't have it butchered like I would an elk or moose, etc. I have all my bear meat fixed into summer sausage or pepperettes. The meat is mixed with pork fat by the butcher and both taste excellant. In my opinion bear fat is the worse thing in the world to smell cooking or to eat. You must remove all the fat. That's why it's mixed with pork fat. If you didn't know it was bear when eating the sausage or pepperette, which a lot of my friends didn't, they wolfed it down. Now a lot of them that didn't eat bear meat do just what I do with it.

If you're going to have steaks, chops, whatever made out of it, which is not my choice to do, you've got to get all the fat off it and all the blood out of it. That's why it's much easier with sausage and pepperettes. Of course a lot of people can't eat several hundred pounds of sausage and pepperettes in a year
Old 11-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE55
Of course a lot of people can't eat several hundred pounds of sausage and pepperettes in a year
For those that can't , I'll take some.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love bear meat. When cooking the meat, just make sure the meat is cooked well. As for taste, to me it tastes like pork and if you smoke it, it tastes like ham. Makes great jerky too.
I`ve also heard that rendered bear fat makes some of the best pastry going. Good for waterproofing boots and used to make a great pomade.

Ron
Old 11-24-2011, 04:20 AM
Spike

Iv'e always run bear thru a grinder. Makes great spaghetti.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep bear meat can be very tasty if cooked right. Almost all my bear end up as some kind of sausage or hamburger mix.