Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
How Heavy is This Bear?  (Pic) >

How Heavy is This Bear? (Pic)

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

How Heavy is This Bear? (Pic)

Old 11-25-2011, 02:01 AM
Spike

That's a great looking bear and would make a great rug. Thanks for posting and good luck.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Nice bear and looks like a female to me. Ears are not all that small vs the head so I would say a fat 200 pound animal.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

pushing 5 live
Old 11-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Big black bears over 300 pounds are almost always males. The heads grow large and the ears stay the same size as when they were fully grown cubs. On a large bear the ears are way to the side of the head, appear small and look round like cookies. The head grows but the ears don't so they look small and round. The bear we are talking about is a very nice bear but I would say it is a female and the ears look too large for me to consider it that huge. Just my opinion of course. It is hard to get any type of scale since there aren't any trees or other identifiable things next to it. To show what I mean here are a couple of pictures we took on our last Colorado trip. It is a black bear but in a brown color phase.

we saw this one hanging around the cabin and later that night got one of my game bags which were hung up on the porch.

Here is a picture I took of the same bear when he came back the day after he climbed that pillar in back of him to try and get the remaining game bags that we moved up to the second floor porch. I heard him climbing the wall and chased him off just as he was coming up over the railing at 2:30 in the morning. Another 10 seconds and he would have had another bag filled with my deer quarters and that was on the porch above the one pictured. The next day after butchering the deer while watching out for the bear I was having a beer and had the screen door open and he returned and I took these pictuires of him. He is next to a 48 qt cooler for scale and I estimate him at around 200 to 250 pounds. It is a male and at least to me his head looks bigger than the one in the first post and the space between and small size of the ears would indicate at least to me that the Colorado bear was bigger.
Incidentally the last time we saw him he was up on my back bumper trying to get into the rear of my pickup where we had left a couple of bloody pack frames from packing out my partners’ mulie. We scared him off just before he bashed in the door to the cap. I am glad we were looking outside when we did.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 11-27-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Spike

this is important!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Spike

Compare it to this one. Most of the photo's I have of bears at my bait are bears around the 200 pound mark and this old boy makes them look like pups!

Here's the biggest one I got on camera at my bait this season(Spring).

Notice his nose is out past the tree in this photo.

Last edited by Brake708; 12-13-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Big boar. That head is bigger than a drywall bucket. Great pics.....thanks
Old 12-22-2011, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
Got this sucker on the trail cam in an orchard on out property. How much do you think he weighs?

I think "he" is a she. The ears are big on the head and not to far apart. Without some other thing for size comparison it is really hard to judge it's size. I would say around 250 or so and well fattened for winter.

HA
Old 12-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Spike

That's a brute!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Fork Horn

Thats one rolling fat bear! When I look at his head and ears though, he doesn't look all that old. Tough to tell!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.