Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Tell us about your big game deer, hogs and black bear size game rifles/carbines? >

Tell us about your big game deer, hogs and black bear size game rifles/carbines?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Tell us about your big game deer, hogs and black bear size game rifles/carbines?

Old 11-21-2011, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have only one big game center fire rifle. It is a Sears Model 53 30-06 (Winchester Model 70 marketed for Sears in the 60's), that my granpa bought new in the late 60's. He gave me the gun about 14 years ago for helping him all summer on his land. I killed my first deer with it in 1998, and have since killed a couple more. I had a Savage 110 that I bought, and resold to my dad, because I just like the Sears better. It has been around the block, but it shoots good, and it definately has a nostalgia factor for me.

I also shoot a Traditions Pursuit .50 cal muzzle loader which has taken 2 cow elk, and a CVA Bobcat has taken one more elk and a deer.

I bought a Marlin 336 Texan in late 2008, and it is my go to gun over my hounds. It has killed 2 tom mountain lions and a boar black bear, all with one shot. I like that gun a lot as well.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

270 Weatherby magnum 45 70 and 25 06. Handles everything from mice to elephants.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

My goto rifle for big game is a Winchester Model 70 in a 30-06 and Swarovski Z3 4-12. I shoot Federal Premium 180gr Barnes TSX.

If it's shotgun only I use a Remington 870 with a Hastings rifled barrel, Leupold 2-7, Federal Premium Saboted slugs with a Barnes Expander.

Muzzleloader is a TC Encore with 295gr Power Belts.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use one of 3 guns for the whole season. Which will include coyote, muley's, elk, and sometimes bear. I'm old school, so i'll take one of these guns, and use it for all game that season.

Authentic copy of .54 Hawken built from a Don Stith kit.

Marlin 336 30-30 built in 1952. A present from my dad when I was a youngster. Best Christmas ever for me in 1952.

Remington 700 BDL in .270. Beautiful wood and bluing. I use Nosler Partitions in it. Leupold scope.