HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Spring bear hunting, Mt - nonresident (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/352662-spring-bear-hunting-mt-nonresident.html)

villreinen 11-03-2011 07:28 AM

Spring bear hunting, Mt - nonresident

Hi guys! Im a 22 year old norwegian moving to Bozeman, Mt in January 2012 and I'll be studying there for 4-5 months.

Im interesting to hunt some black bear if it's possible and to a
reasonable price. I've been reading on "http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/" but its not clear to me yet. Do I need to apply before I want hunt? Where do I buy a tag and how expensive is it? Do I need a guide or can I hunt without one? (Im not an american)

Hope someone can clearify this for me. :)

Best regards
Morten, Norway

AK Jeff 11-05-2011 11:28 AM

The black bear regulations are available here:

http://fwp.mt.gov/fwpDoc.jsp?id=48860

You can buy a tag over the counter and it'll cost about $370 because you're a non-resident. You don't need a guide. You will have to take the free black bear identification quiz. The FWP office in Bozeman can get you all squared away. I've seen quite a few bears in the Bridgers and up Hyalite. Just don't be an idiot and accidentally shoot a grizzly...unless it's the University of Montana variety. Go Bobcats!!!

Good luck.

salukipv1 11-05-2011 11:40 AM

if you're a full time student you may qualify as a resident... I did when I was in CO.

AK Jeff 11-05-2011 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by salukipv1 (Post 3871378)
if you're a full time student you may qualify as a resident... I did when I was in CO.

Not in Montana.

Since you were born after 1985 you'll also have to show proof of completion of an approved hunter education course before you can buy any hunting licenses. Here's a link to MT hunter ed if you need to take it.

http://fwp.mt.gov/education/hunter/hunterEd.html

villreinen 11-09-2011 01:25 PM

Thanks AK JEFF.

About this hunter education course.. How advanced is it? Where and when? I've already got a "hunter-exam" from Norway. Is this enough or do EVERYONE born after 1985 take this course no matter what?

Morten

AK Jeff 11-12-2011 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by villreinen (Post 3873467)
Thanks AK JEFF.

About this hunter education course.. How advanced is it? Where and when? I've already got a "hunter-exam" from Norway. Is this enough or do EVERYONE born after 1985 take this course no matter what?

Morten

Morten,

The Montana hunter education course isn't advanced at all. It's basic firearm safety and hunter etiquette. I took it when I was 10 years old. You should contact the Montana FWP to see if your Norweigan hunter exam would qualify. This is the wording straight from the FWP website:

http://fwp.mt.gov/education/hunter/hunterEd.html

"You must have a hunting license to hunt any of Montana's game animals. To purchase a Montana hunting license, any person born after January 1, 1985 must show a certificate of completing a hunter education course issued by:
  • Montana,
  • any other state, or
  • any Canadian province.
This law became effective October 1, 2003 (MCA 87-2-105). Hunter education is NOT required if you were born on or prior to January 1, 1985."

My gut feeling is they won't accept it, even though they really should, because my understanding is your hunter qualification program is rather rigorous. It doesn't hurt to ask them though because they might accept it. They can give you the class schedule and if you have to take it don't worry. If you have a very basic understanding of hunting and just a little common sense you'll do fine. The course is free and is only a couple of days (usually a few hours in the evenings).

Good luck with the black bears. I've seen plenty of them around Bridger Bowl and Flathead Pass just a short drive from Bozeman. A college buddy of mine shot one up Bear Canyon after school one day and he was back in town by dark.

villreinen 11-14-2011 03:36 PM

Thanks again Jeff! Really helpful! Im sending a mail to Montana FWP as we speak. Hopefully it's getting solved before the may-hunt!

One more thing, if you dont mind me asking, is it difficult/expensive to rent a rifle in Bozeman? Bare in mind that I'm a foreign on a student-visa so Im not sure what weapon-regulations they got over there.

Originally I was planning bringing my own rifle, but it seems difficult beacause the goverment over there require that I apply before I bring my weapon. And the application demands that I need to have a hunting license bought in USA, which I dont have yet. ;)

Morten

AK Jeff 11-15-2011 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by villreinen (Post 3876090)
Thanks again Jeff! Really helpful! Im sending a mail to Montana FWP as we speak. Hopefully it's getting solved before the may-hunt!

One more thing, if you dont mind me asking, is it difficult/expensive to rent a rifle in Bozeman? Bare in mind that I'm a foreign on a student-visa so Im not sure what weapon-regulations they got over there.

Originally I was planning bringing my own rifle, but it seems difficult beacause the goverment over there require that I apply before I bring my weapon. And the application demands that I need to have a hunting license bought in USA, which I dont have yet. ;)

Morten

Nobody rents rifles anywhere in the U.S. that I'm aware of. The liability is just too high. I doubt that a firearms dealer would be able to sell to you, but a private seller likely would. Now whether that is legal or not, I'm not sure. Private sales don't go through any real channels so the only way to find out is to ask the proper authorities beforehand. I'm sure the Bozeman police department could answer that for you. You might see if you can buy your Conservation License beforehand and use that to submit your application to bring your own rifle to the country. I'm almost certain that hunter safety isn't prerequisite for buying the Conservation License, but the CL is prerequisite for buying any hunting licenses. Also, if you're staying on campus be sure to find out MSU's policy for possession of firearms. When I went to school there you had to check firearms in with the school and they kept them locked up. I never bothered to bring any of my guns to school for the year that I lived in the dorms because I didn't want the hassle, but you might not have a choice.

Good luck,

Jeff

villreinen 11-23-2011 01:50 PM

I have now done some research and I found out that:

- The conservation license is not enough proof in order to bring my trusty rifle into the US. I need a valid hunting license.
- My hunter exam from norway is not valid in the united states although I've been a hunter for 6 years now.

So Im forced to take the hunter education course either online or in Bozeman when I arrive in January + a field day which is mandatory. How Im gonna bring my rifle or get a rifle is another question.. Suggestions?

SJAdventures 11-23-2011 04:03 PM

If you hunt with a guide good chance they could provide the rifle.

AK Jeff 11-24-2011 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by villreinen (Post 3880423)
I have now done some research and I found out that:

- The conservation license is not enough proof in order to bring my trusty rifle into the US. I need a valid hunting license.
- My hunter exam from norway is not valid in the united states although I've been a hunter for 6 years now.

So Im forced to take the hunter education course either online or in Bozeman when I arrive in January + a field day which is mandatory. How Im gonna bring my rifle or get a rifle is another question.. Suggestions?

A couple of options. Call the Bozeman Police Department and ask them if you are allowed to legally purchase a firearm as a citizen of Norway on a student visa. If they don't know they should be able to give you some contacts for who can. You can also try the Gallatin County Sheriff's office. Another possibility is calling a sporting goods store in Bozeman like Powderhorn Outfitters or Bob Wards. They sell firearms all the time so they're familiar with the paperwork requirements. If you're allowed to buy one just pick one up when you get there and then just sell it before you leave if you don't want to take it back.

The other option I can think of is to go through the hunter safety course, get your hunting license and have somebody in Norway ship your rifle to you (presuming Norway allows that). It would have to be shipped to an FFL (Federal Firearms License) holder (usually a sporting goods store or gunsmith) and they charge a minimal fee to process the paperwork and give you your rifle.

The thing is just call around and ask questions.