HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Buffalo hunt... 1st hunt ever (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/351842-buffalo-hunt-1st-hunt-ever.html)

KJT82 10-19-2011 12:04 PM

Buffalo hunt... 1st hunt ever

So my wife and i decided we would like to give hunting a try. Neither of us has even been hunting before. We decided that buffalo would be a good time. We got in contact with a guide who seems very knowledgeable and was referred to us by a friend of ours. The guide is out of Montana.

Anyways we are looking for any tips or trick on what do to, what to wear, what guns we need to buy.

Like i said neither of us has been hunting before, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

finnbear 10-20-2011 04:09 PM

Ask your guidewhat to bring most buffalo hunts aren't much more than a glorified canned hunt!!! very few are shot out in the wilds so to speak...........most are hunted on ranches with one purpose and that is buffalo hunting!! the "guides" take ya right to the the animals!!!
I would recomend a rifle in the 30.06 range as most shots are or will be100yds or so!!!!

Let the HuRaaa begin!!!!!

salukipv1 10-20-2011 05:14 PM

30-06

in wy the minimums for buffalo are

270 caliber or larger
150grs or more

a .45-70 is very traditional option, lever action, but if you've never hunted before, and will be making a 1st big game rifle purchase, a 30-06 can hunt most of North America quite well, it's also big, but not too big to where it would scare your or your wife probably, like a 300+ mag would.

a .270win. or 7mm Rem.Mag. would be also good choices.

Bocajnala 10-20-2011 06:12 PM

A standard "big game" rifle would do the trick, .30-06 on up. If you have the $$$, which you better if you are doing a buffalo hunt, and want it to be alittle more traditional then look into something like a .45-120 Sharps just to make it a little more interesting and traditional.
-Jake

Wheatley 10-21-2011 04:24 AM

Or if you really want to have some fun try a 50 cal muzzle loader with some 460 grain conicals. If you have never huted before the CF rifle would be the easiest to get into and used to.

Murdy 10-21-2011 02:01 PM

Or, if you are consdiering hunting other things in the future, stick with something like the 30-06Unless, of course, your budget is such that you can afford a lot of guns and want some that are just "neat." 45-70 would have beenin use in the 1800's, so, as has been said, very traditional, but it won't perform like a more modern firearm, which you may want in the future. Just depends what you like.

AK Jeff 10-27-2011 08:12 AM

With the exception of the drawing hunt for Yellowstone bison (which are essentially tame animals) all bison hunts in Montana are privately owned livestock. The Crow Tribe in southeastern Montana has a rather large herd that roams a large area and is probably the closest thing to a wild herd around that you can pay to hunt. There's really no sport in hunting fenced bison whatsoever and it's really just killing and not hunting. If that's your cup of tea than more power to you, but it's not hunting.

Terasec 10-27-2011 08:38 AM

your first hunt a guided buffalo hunt?
i dont believe in killing for sake of killing
first question is why do you want to hunt?
and why buffalo?

my recommendation is skip the buffalo hunt and start locally,
get your certifications,
spend time in the woods, and you will find lots of hunting in your backyard,
start with a pellet gun and squirrels,

HobbleCreek 10-27-2011 03:55 PM

It's interesting that you would post this so recently after my wife and I were discussing buffalo "hunting". She said that our friend, who hunts a lot of different species, was going on a buffalo hunt. (Turns out she was mistaken, and that he was actually on a pheasant hunt, but that's beside the point.) I was wondering how much fun it could be to hunt buffalo, and how different it would be from hunting cattle. Sounds like the answers are not much, and not much.

However, our friends do report that they like buffalo meat a lot. If you're going to use the meat, want to dip your toes into the hunting world, and don't have friends locally that can help you get started with local game, then maybe a guided buffalo hunt is not such a bad idea. I'd rather see a guy take a buffalo that will get used than kill a bunch of squirrels that won't.

With that said, I agree that you're not going to get much of what I find enjoyable in hunting out of a guided buffalo hunt. If you don't have a great time on the buffalo hunt, don't let that discourage you from trying other hunts. I have spent a lot more time "hunting" when I had no tag, no license, and no firearm, but was just along for the ride with friends and it was those experiences that motivated me to want to pursue hunting for myself.

Good luck.