Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Gunnison area In Colorado

Old 10-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Gunnison area In Colorado

Years ago (probably 20 years) my dad elk hunted north of Gunnison 20 miles or so. He hunted this area for 15 years. The elk, mule deer and bear hunting was phenomenal! The last couple years he was there he had enough of It as a guide moved In there and shot a bunch of huge bulls. Video's were made and people flocked to this area. I talked with my dad yesterday and told him we've got to get you on an elk hunt again as he hasn't hunted elk for 15 years or so. I mentioned to him about his old area and asked If he was Interested In going back there as he knows the area very well.

So my question Is, for anyone that's hunted here how Is the hunting pressure there? Is there 4 wheelers allowed everywhere? The last area I hunted In Colorado 4 wheelers were allowed pretty much everywhere. I want nothing to do with an area where 4 wheelers can go as they please. I also see that It's not over the counter In this area. What's the percentage of getting drawed the 1st try? By the looks of It It's unit 54 or 55.

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

My plans are to hunt 55 next year, but you will be dealing with ATV's.

Just let the ATV's drive the elk towards you.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

That was a mule deer hot spot, then the winter kill 3 or 4 years ago was pretty bad I thought and #'s were way down...

aren't atv's restricted to trails/2 tracks?
Old 10-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

You need to do some research. First, as stated, you will see a lot of 4 wheelers in those areas, but you should call the local DOW office and ask them about the specific area/creeks etc that you want to hunt. Are there 4 wheeler trails in that area or are they only used on jeep roads? Can you still get off road and away from the ATVs. And is the outfitter still set up in that area? These guys are a great souce of info if you ask specific questions about specific areas.

Second, both of those units are NOT draw only units only. 54 has second season OTC either sex elk tags with a cap (once they sell out, they don't sell any more) and OTC bull tags for the 3rd season. Unit 55 is OTC for the second and third season.

Here are some links to help you know if you can draw easy for the seasons that are draw (archery, muzzleloading, first rifle, 4th season):

http://huntodds.monstermuleys.com/

This link gives you lots of good info: numbers of hunters, success rates and draw odds.
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/...tatistics.aspx

And this link is the big game brochure that shows you exactly what is available in each unit (draw or OTC/bull/either sex/etc):

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteColl...me/biggame.pdf

All your questions should be answered with the links above and info from the local DOW people

Last edited by txhunter58; 10-15-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

What season are you hunting? I see a bow in your avatar,

Muzzleloader is pretty easy. 1point for either sex elk. 0 points for a cow.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by txhunter58
You need to do some research. First, as stated, you will see a lot of 4 wheelers in those areas, but you should call the local DOW office and ask them about the specific area/creeks etc that you want to hunt. Are there 4 wheeler trails in that area or are they only used on jeep roads? Can you still get off road and away from the ATVs. And is the outfitter still set up in that area? These guys are a great souce of info if you ask specific questions about specific areas.

Second, both of those units are NOT draw only units only. 54 has second season OTC either sex elk tags with a cap (once they sell out, they don't sell any more) and OTC bull tags for the 3rd season. Unit 55 is OTC for the second and third season.

Here are some links to help you know if you can draw easy for the seasons that are draw (archery, muzzleloading, first rifle, 4th season):

http://huntodds.monstermuleys.com/

This link gives you lots of good info: numbers of hunters, success rates and draw odds.
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/...tatistics.aspx

And this link is the big game brochure that shows you exactly what is available in each unit (draw or OTC/bull/either sex/etc):

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteColl...me/biggame.pdf

All your questions should be answered with the links above and info from the local DOW people
Thank you!! Tomorrow I'll look Into this Info you posted here. Again, thanks a bunch.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
What season are you hunting? I see a bow in your avatar,

Muzzleloader is pretty easy. 1point for either sex elk. 0 points for a cow.
Bow It Is.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ok, going by what you would have needed this year.

Archery buck. Can't hunt doe in either unit.

54...1 point
55...1 point

Archery Elk either sex.

54..0 point
55..0 point
Old 10-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Spike

I hunted there last week, first rifle. No points needed for that season, not sure about archery. We went with an outfitter on a drop camp. There is a trailhead close to the area we were in but we never seen another hunter. No 4 wheelers allowed where we were at. send me PM if you want more info.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
My plans are to hunt 55 next year, but you will be dealing with ATV's.

Just let the ATV's drive the elk towards you.
ya if it wernt for the road warrior hunters pushing all the elk around we would rarly see them were we hunt.