Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Are we shooting ourselves in the foot with hunter safety course? >

Are we shooting ourselves in the foot with hunter safety course?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Are we shooting ourselves in the foot with hunter safety course?

Old 12-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Terasec
I would disagree,
I am not a fan of shortcuts,
Is someone is discouraged by having to take 10-12 hour course for the privilage of a lifetime of hunting, then maybe hunting isn't for them.
Most that I know that love the outdoors, come out really appreciating the course.
Personally I think the course is too short.
As for a mentor? Who qualifies the mentor?
Just because one is a hunter doesn't make them a safe, ethical legal hunter.
Most of the poaching and game law violators are rarely new hunters, but usually seasoned hunters.
Many veteran hunters also develope bad habits which can get passed to
new hunters.
We as hunters are always free to mentor new hunters, don't need state/fed mandating regs for us to act as mentors
I totally agree.. Couldn't have said it better myself..
The fact is, all firearm accidents are fatalities are preventable and 100%
totally inexcusable. Fingers better be pointed at the one handling the firearm cause they are the ones 100% responsible for everywhere that bullet goes and 100% responsible for everything that bullet does until that
bullet stops..As far as mentoring goes, if you don't trust a person or what a person may do in a situation, you don't let him carry..It's final..
My Dad was a great mentor.. My brother wounded a deer, my brother was 13 he did not let me nor my brother go after that deer with a rifle in hand for fear that we would shoot the wrong animal or kill someone..
Why cause of being over anxious.. And how many times have I heard this happen.. Too many.. Kids shooting brothers, sisters mothers fathers somebody else cause of being over excited tracking a wounded animal..
I have also on the forum heard too many incedences of experienced adults
shooting their own kids, spouses and others over wounded animals or shooting without clearly identifying the target..
Why than would I want this on inexperienced hunting adults..
Hunting needs absolute 100% care and attention, and everybody including myself, need to be reminded of this all the time, and follow through with this every single time..

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 12-06-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Spike

Well what do you want a bunch of stupid people with guns in the woods not knowing how to use them. Not to sound like a panzy but its a safety hazard I do not want my buddies getting shot because some idiot with a gun sees a movement and shoots. Or they shoot up a hill and 2 miles later the bullet goes through someones camp. Its a long and stupid course but most people do not grow up with an environment with guns and hunting so they need education so people do not get killed
Old 12-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default It's the Computer Era hunters

Some states are offering online hunter safety classes, especially for older individuals. Check with your state. Some states you can pass the test, online with your computer, and you might only need a short in person participation.

Hunter numbers have surely fallen and I'm sure it's getting impossible to schedule live hunter safety classes in some areas.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

I see a need for good gun handling and hunting safety!

The problem is that there was nothing in me and my son's hunter safety course that I had not already taught him!!!

It was just another government regulation/hurdle to him getting to hunt.