Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Favorite Rifle/Caliber For Elk >

Favorite Rifle/Caliber For Elk

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Favorite Rifle/Caliber For Elk

Old 10-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Spike

Default Favorite Rifle/Caliber For Elk

I live in an outdoorsmans paradise here in WY. I'm an avid bowhunter, and that's easily my preferred method to take elk (which I was blessed with almost three weeks ago). But I have also hunted elk with my rifle when bow season comes up zero. The rifle of choice has been my Tikka T3 Hunter in .300WSM. But.....it has always kicked like an angry mule, and after coming from the range with a sore shoulder (again) it's now on the sale block. I plan to replace it with something a little less likely to jar my fillings loose, but still big enough to confidently take a bull. I would love input/suggestions on what you all have or use and why.
Time to go grab another ice pack.......
Old 10-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe this will help;

http://elkhunter2.tripod.com/

However, there are many ways to "manage" recoil....................

Last edited by Sheridan; 10-03-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Spike

If you want lighter and elk capable you're probably talking .308 or .30-06 (or 7mm Rem mag, or whatever caliber people will be annoyed I didn't mention). Perhaps the two most standard rounds in North America. If you're really recoil adverse you might make .270 and a few others work, but it's not ideal.

There are ways to minimize the sore shoulder. Shooting more, hooking up with someone who reloads for reduced recoil rounds (perhaps cheaper than factory ammo), recoil pads, etc. Really look at the possibility of a recoil pad before the expense of switching rifles.

I'd say don't dump the rifle unless you get a good deal for it that works for you. Switching stocks or adding more weight to the rifle may help. I've seen situations where a .308 with a straight stock hurt more than a heavier .300 WM with a different stock.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Two suggestions: #1: get a .30-06 #2: shoot the .300 WSM less frequently. It only takes one shot to down an elk. One shot, when your shoulder is padded by a shirt and a parka over the shirt, isn't going to make your shoulder sore. If you are wanting to get the .300 WSM zeroed in on a target, buy a recoil pad that you can strap on your shoulder -- that is going to be a lot cheaper than selling the .300 WSM and buying a new rifle.

By the way, while the .30-06 will shoot with less recoil . . . it still has a recoil. I shot my Remington model 700 ADL .30-06 at the range a week ago. 15 shots. My shoulder was sore for a couple of days -- low grade level of pain, but it was noticeable pain. This is a pretty light rifle, which tends to transfer more of the recoil to the shooter's shoulder.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

My goto gun has allways been a 1964 vintage Sako in .300 H&H has a bit more power than a 30.06 and is perfectly suited for the wide open sagebrush filled canyons that I hut elk in!
prety easy on the shoulder also!!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

If a .300 WSM has too much recoil for you, you might want to stick to bow hunting.

There are many ways to manage recoil and it shouldn't be an issue at the range ever. Get a Lead Sled or something similar and even a monster gun will have no significant recoil at the range.

The limbsaver recoil pads really help out as well, my 7mm Rem Mag has a limbsaver recoil pad and it has significantly less percieved recoil than my friends .270 winchester that just has a metal plate on the end of the stock.

There could be a problem with the way you are holding the rifle when you shoot or something.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

New recoil pad...

lighter loads, 165gr/150gr TSX...

could have it ported, but not a big fan.

once it's sighted in though, you'll never notice kick in the field...

add weight/mercury recoil reducer...
Old 10-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 10-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Before getting into muzzleloaders. I hunted with a Winchester 70 30-06. 150gr for deer, and 180 gr for elk.

It had some recoil, but I only noticed it at the range. Never felt a thing while taking a shot at game.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

My go to gun is a Winchester Model 70 in a .30-06. I shoot Federal Premium 180gr Barnes TSX bullets. A deadly combo and the recoil isn't bad at all. I have it topped with a Swaro 4x12x50.

I love this gun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.