HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Garmin vs Delorme (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/349600-garmin-vs-delorme.html)

onebigelk 09-11-2011 06:24 PM

Garmin vs Delorme

Was wondering if I could get some opinions on the Garmin vs Delorme GPS's. I am going to buy my first GPS and have looked quite a bit at the Garmin 62 series and the Delorme PN-60. Any opinions either way would be helplful. Thanks

Palladin8 09-12-2011 12:22 AM

I have had a Garmin 60 CSX for several years now and really like it. It has many features and is easy to use. Lightweight, easy to read, batteries life is good. Garmin has great support for their products as well.
I also have a Garmin Nuvi 500 for my motorcycle as well. Again it is a great product.

onebigelk 09-14-2011 02:29 PM

Thanks P8.

salukipv1 09-14-2011 06:28 PM

I have the PN-40, bought it when it was first released, came with maps of the entire US etc...

I like it, and customer service has been great so far.

That being said if/when I need a new gps I'm going to do my research, compare, play with them as much as possible and see which I prefer.

I think they offer touch screen gps' now with much bigger screens than my pn-40, also checkout fittings/connections, I'm not crazy about how my pn-40 dc car charger connects, I finally got it fixed/working, bad power cord.

See if maps are include or extra...same with sd cards etc...mine came with a 1gb, ended up buying/needing a 16gb.

onebigelk 09-15-2011 07:14 AM

Thanks Salukipv1, My son-in-law has a PN-40 and likes it. I'm borrowing it to check out. He has all the maps I think I would need so thats a plus. The screen is a little small compared to the Garmins especially the newer touch screen ones. I haven't had enough time to try the new touch screen ones but will try as soon as I can. Time is ticking and need to make a decision soon. Oct 20 will be here quickly- but not soon enough actually.

Wheatley 09-19-2011 09:59 AM

I have a garmin my brother in law has a new Delorme. He has said that there are more maps available for the Garmin in the state of Wyoming. Not sure if that is true with other states. I like the gpsmaps from garmin. I used to work for them so I am a little bias.

Jmp51483 09-19-2011 10:04 AM

definitely always been a garmin fan, their support / warranty is much better than Delorme.

Biggs300 09-20-2011 05:50 PM

I'm on my 2nd Garmin; an older, still functional etrex and now a Rino 530HCx. I really can't speak to the Delorme units (the features do look impressive) but, both my Garmins have a logical layout that are intuitive, easy to use, and they have been reliable. Finally, Garmin compatible maps are reasonable price-wise and readily available.

Outdoorsben 09-25-2011 07:40 AM

IMO hands down the Delorme maps are head and shoulders above the rest. Functionality tips to Garmin. IMO Delorme is the better option. Loved my PN20, 40, and 60.

onebigelk 09-25-2011 10:32 AM

Thanks for the opinions. I went ahead and bought the Delorme PN-60. I thought $247.00 at Amazon was a decent price. NO tax or shipping. It came with 5 differnt cds/dvds but haven't used it yet.

jwill 09-28-2011 05:40 PM

I think that's a good choice. The CDs will let you load states or parts of states onto the unit. Once you load the maps they'll show contours, water, roads, some public land boundaries, rough land cover, etc.

onebigelk 09-30-2011 12:06 AM

Yes it looks good and as soon as I get a time in next couple days I'll get colorado loaded. I might load missouri and go to farm and practice.