Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

2012 Montana elk hunt

Old 09-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Spike

Default 2012 Montana elk hunt

Hey guys Im new to the forum and would like some guidance on an elk hunt for 2012. I have always wanted to hunt public land in montana for elk. Im 31 and have a group of three other archery hunters that would like to do a self guided hunt. I know its a lot of work and I want to start preparing now. We live in Virginia and have no idea where to start. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:41 AM
Spike

Well it depends on what time restraints you will have and how much work you want to do.
I live in SW Montana by the big hole and anywhere in that valley is a good choice. The Ruby, or..... The high line, Meaning the Canadian border there are some HUGE animals up at the high line but its more difficult. If you want a chance though i would suggest the greenhorn mountains.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.elkoutfitters.com/

Try him he's a member on this site.They offer several different kinds of hunts,guided,semi guided,and unguided.his prices seem resonable compared to other outfitters i've checked out.

Last edited by jerry d; 09-11-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Spike

Join the huntin' Fool, superb advice, help and service for a cheap membership fee. they can help tremendously when in new teritory.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Give raghorn hunting services a call or find him around here he'll be glad to help you out.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

I would assume the state wildlife people have a website. Thats where i would start. Maybe even call them and get leaflets, maps, brochures and regs. Google Earth is great to look over the whole state. All this I did before going to Colorado to elk hunt for the first time. Its not really hard. Just takes time and effort. Half the fun is in the research. Good luck.