HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Bull elk on trail cam (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/348934-bull-elk-trail-cam.html)

Blackelk 08-30-2011 03:40 AM

Bull elk on trail cam

1 Attachment(s)
I've set out trail cams about two weeks ago on bedding area's and wallow's. So far this bull is the biggest caught on camera yet. I've gotten several other small bulls, bucks, groups of cows and part of a bears face as it was sniffing the camera. My first cam I camoflaged it with willows in a bedding area used by elk closer to my cabin and the deer ate on the freshly cut willows so they moved the brush around and a lot the pictures have willow leaves covering most of the animals. This year is the first year I've ever used a trail camera in Colorado and I'm having a blast with it. I gotten over a hundred animal pictures in two weeks it's a blast.

Talondale 08-30-2011 05:26 AM

He'll do. Hope you get him.

Bocajnala 08-30-2011 06:27 AM

Looks like a nice bull, and seems like you have a good spot if they're hitting that area
-Jake

Wheatley 08-30-2011 12:09 PM

Just curious on the timestamp, 5:40 AM is a little early and it is pretty sunny in the picture. I was curious because I see them hitting those areas early afternoon time frame (2:00 - 4:00).

Larswildu 08-30-2011 02:40 PM

nice. good luck. wished I had a tag this year.

Colorado Cajun 08-30-2011 08:12 PM

Good luck! I hope you get him. What season are you hunting? I hear today from someone who bow hunted last weekend that some bulls were bugling.

Trail Tracker 08-31-2011 03:58 AM

Yeah, he's a shooter for sure! I'll bet that's getting your heart pumping a bit.

Good luck!

Blackelk 09-01-2011 03:00 AM

Wheatly I don't know why it showed up 5:40 am the trail cam showed the pic taken at 8:45 AM.

Colorado Cajun I'm archery hunting myself. I haven't got real serious about it. I've been packing in archery drop camps and now have relation visiting all week. But come the week of muzzle loading season plan on hitting it hard that week it's my only open time I can get to go for myself. Should be a real test of patience setting up on that wallow and just waiting for it to happen. I'm used to spot and stalking elk during archery but these trail cams have shown me I stand a better chance if I'd just sit and wait. With in five days there's been at least one to two bulls there and the amount of cows showing up is a lot. My other cam by my cabin has elk on it everyday but not a bull so far. I saw a nice bull track just south of the cam by about 80 yards. The cams are in different area's about 12 miles apart. By next year I'm thinking of putting camera's on all the hot spots. That's going to be a lot of camera's but I think I'm addicted. I'm waiting for a good bear pic so I can post one. I got about a 1/3 of a bears face on cam so far.

Blackelk 09-01-2011 03:03 AM

Wheatly I don't know why it showed up 5:40 am the trail cam showed the pic taken at 8:45 AM.

Colorado Cajun I'm archery hunting myself. I haven't got real serious about it. I've been packing in archery drop camps and now have relation visiting all week. But come the week of muzzle loading season plan on hitting it hard that week it's my only open time I can get to go for myself. Should be a real test of patience setting up on that wallow and just waiting for it to happen. I'm used to spot and stalking elk during archery but these trail cams have shown me I stand a better chance if I'd just sit and wait. With in five days there's been at least one to two bulls there and the amount of cows showing up is a lot. My other cam by my cabin has elk on it everyday but not a bull so far. I saw a nice bull track just south of the cam by about 80 yards. The cams are in different area's about 12 miles apart. By next year I'm thinking of putting camera's on all the hot spots. That's going to be a lot of camera's but I think I'm addicted. I'm waiting for a good bear pic so I can post one. I got about a 1/3 of a bears face on cam so far.