HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Back Pack Weight (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/348900-back-pack-weight.html)

JB Flatlander 08-29-2011 10:31 AM

Back Pack Weight

Going on my first big game hunt this October in CO. I have loaded my pack with most of what I plan to take along on each days adventure and it weighs about 20 lbs without food and water. I was wondering how that compares to others pack weights. Thanks for any information.

tikka_hunter 08-29-2011 04:05 PM

hell mine weighed about 100 pounds on the hike back from my bear hunt. and i had to hall that about 7 miles up and down the mountains. i tell you what you dont break no land records with that much weight on your back.

but our average weight hiking was about 55 pounds.

halfbakedi420 08-29-2011 04:12 PM

20 lbs seems about right for a short distance..a gallon of water and sum snacks is 10lbs..i guess ill have to weigh mine and see.

c-rad 08-29-2011 05:59 PM

Mine weighs between 15 and 20 lbs with water, a few snacks, bone saw, game bags and basic survival gear.

Wheatley 08-30-2011 05:07 AM

Mine is about 25 - 30 depending on what all I throw in that day and how full the camel back is.

Terasec 08-30-2011 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by JB Flatlander (Post 3840023)
Going on my first big game hunt this October in CO. I have loaded my pack with most of what I plan to take along on each days adventure and it weighs about 20 lbs without food and water. I was wondering how that compares to others pack weights. Thanks for any information.

weight is relative,
how far do you plan on hiking?
have you hiked with 20 lbs before?
20 lbs seems like alot for a day trip.
also a well packed bag, and a good pack that distributes the weight correctly really makes a big difference.
other poster stated he hiked 7 miles with 100 lbs,
holy cow,
i am in relatively good shape,
do have +10 mile days, +30 mile weekends,
but for me, any pack really limits my distance,
for me a 40-50 lb pack i am struggling after 1-2 miles.
for day trips, dont need that much,
your heaviest item would be water,
i have cut down my water weight by using a hand pump filter,
small/light, and very reliable,
if your sure you will be coming across water on your hike, a hand pump filter is a great investment

scottycoyote 08-30-2011 05:41 AM

is that supposed to get you thru a whole day and your coming back to basecamp at night? I dont know it seems a little high to me but all i have to compare it to is my pack that i leave out in the morning with and plan on coming back that night.

Bocajnala 08-30-2011 06:31 AM

Is this just a day pack I'm assuming? Add your lunch and water for the day you've got around another 10lbs probably. I keep my total day pack right around 18-20lbs, so you're a little bit heavier than what I carry, but it's better to have everything you may need.
Remember, the more weight you add the slower and less you're gonna move. Don't be afraid to drop your pack if you need to cover ground quick for some reason, just make sure you can get back to it.
-Jake

Howler 08-30-2011 07:00 AM

Add your lunch and water for the day you've got around another 10lbs probably
A gollon of water weighs 8.34#'s, and I don't know anyone that carrys a gallon of water. As has been suggested, if there's a water source in your area, the better option is to get a filtered water bottle, or a filter pump and carry a smaller amount of water and refill as needed. I rarely drink but maybe a 1/2 gallon/day, but everyone is different, some may need more, expecially flat landers coming into the high country.
I can go into the high country on a 3 day bivy hunt and not carry 10#'s of water and food. So a guy should be able to do a day hunt with a lot less than 10#s of water and food combined.

halfbakedi420 08-30-2011 07:00 AM

i agree..100lbs is alot..my buddy in afghanistan carries 100 lbs on a day trip..
i couldnt imagine carrying that 1 mile..let alone fer more than a day.
i got large bino's
spotting scope
small bino's
range finder
azzhole puller
box of sharp knives
2 litre camel pak
thermocell w/ refills
rope
compass
survival tool and knife (I hate that it says bear grills on it, but its a good knife)
game calls
deer bag
snacks(whatever is handy)
2 full clips fer the side arm
batteries
pen and a permanent marker
tags
1st aid kit (small, but i put in what seemed to be important)
water purifier tabs

i had to pull it out to remember everything