HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Montana elk tags still available (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/348602-montana-elk-tags-still-available.html)

TwoBear 08-23-2011 08:38 AM

Montana elk tags still available

Hey folks, just letting all know that Montana still has around 500 returned elk tags still available for sale. You can still buy a tag and do the Montana elk hunt this year!!

txhunter58 08-23-2011 09:59 AM

Gosh, how could that be?????

Sorry for you guys though, you are caught in the middle. Or should I say in the middle of the triangle: skyrocketing cost of tags, down economy, wolves.

Can't win for losing! Hope you have a good season

TwoBear 08-23-2011 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by txhunter58 (Post 3837952)
Gosh, how could that be?????

Sorry for you guys though, you are caught in the middle. Or should I say in the middle of the triangle: skyrocketing cost of tags, down economy, wolves.

Can't win for losing! Hope you have a good season

Actually, we are doing rather well. Montana bought back some of the elk portion of the combo tags so they could be sold to others, cool system. Wolf season open now and should provide some additional hunting opportunities for some outfitters as well. I have not seen, heard, or even seen a wolf track in over a year. The economy is bad, but it is not bad for everybody. Tags are a little high, but so is gas, groceries, disneyland etc. There are still plenty of folks who can afford a Montana elk hunt and will spend the money on tags.

txhunter58 08-23-2011 01:07 PM

Glad to hear things are going well. Hope that continues. Course my local real estate friend tells me real estate is coming back...

Whatever else happened, your state eliminated me (and many others) from the pool of prospects.

Montana Man 11-29-2011 03:18 PM

We have hunters that told us they won't come back because the tags are so high. The die hard people who have money to spend will come back, but the middle class hunters/etc. are having second guesses on whether to come back or not. We need to drop our tag prices down so we can compete with other states like Wyoming or Idaho who offer cheaper tags to bring our hunters back.

salukipv1 11-29-2011 03:29 PM

No one minds paying for quality, MT certainly could do more to manage their game, especially their mule deer IMO.

Elk too could be managed better, but some good elk do roam MT.

Need to get rid of that stupid general tag and limited tag for non-residents

TwoBear 11-29-2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Montana Man (Post 3883061)
We have hunters that told us they won't come back because the tags are so high. The die hard people who have money to spend will come back, but the middle class hunters/etc. are having second guesses on whether to come back or not. We need to drop our tag prices down so we can compete with other states like Wyoming or Idaho who offer cheaper tags to bring our hunters back.

I would love to see NR tags go down in price. Charging 350 bucks for a wolf tag is absurd. I have serious questions about Montanas' desire to effectively manage predators. As far as the cost of the NR elk tag, I'm afraid I-161 voters set that price in stone. Montana is going through a very anti-outfitter mentality right now.

Muley Hunter 11-30-2011 01:43 PM

Lets see.

Colorado tags for me..........$49

Montana...........What is it now? $800

Colorado has more elk.

I'll get back to you.

pats102862 12-03-2011 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by TwoBear (Post 3883118)
As far as the cost of the NR elk tag, I'm afraid I-161 voters set that price in stone. Montana is going through a very anti-outfitter mentality right now.

You can set a price in stone, you cant make anybody pay it. They are use to X amount of dollars coming in, and like any government agency they are not going to settle for less to spend if they don't have to. The supply and demand forces will decide the cost of the tag. Before they lose a million dollars in NR tag revenue, just a number I picked out of the air for example they will lower the cost till the demand exceeds the supply.

TwoBear 12-03-2011 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by pats102862 (Post 3884612)
You can set a price in stone, you cant make anybody pay it. They are use to X amount of dollars coming in, and like any government agency they are not going to settle for less to spend if they don't have to. The supply and demand forces will decide the cost of the tag. Before they lose a million dollars in NR tag revenue, just a number I picked out of the air for example they will lower the cost till the demand exceeds the supply.

I agree Pat, and I ain't happy about it. However, I-161 was a voter referendum, voted on by the people of Montana, and cannot be changed. It wasn't FWP or even the state congress. Obviously, I was opposed to I-161, but it got voted in anyway. The price, unfortunately, in not subject to the law of supply and demand, which will probably be it's fatal flaw.