Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Montana elk tags still available >

Montana elk tags still available

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Montana elk tags still available

Old 12-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think tag prices may come down, and they will sell out this year for sure, but I think people, non-residents are done with failing to draw a special tag and then hunting with the general, so even more generals will be turned back this year unless they fix that application process.

I know if i don't draw a special elk tag this year, I'm turning it back in for the 85% refund or whatever.

Also in years past I would apply for the big game combo, but now with increased prices I think it may just be the elk combo instead, I'm sure others are going to be doing this as well.

Might mean more deer tags available and better deer drawing odds now...
Old 12-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by TwoBear
I agree Pat, and I ain't happy about it. However, I-161 was a voter referendum, voted on by the people of Montana, and cannot be changed. It wasn't FWP or even the state congress. Obviously, I was opposed to I-161, but it got voted in anyway. The price, unfortunately, in not subject to the law of supply and demand, which will probably be it's fatal flaw.
It would be interesting to see who will pick up the difference if there is a shortfall in revenue. I am willing to bet it will be resident hunters.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Fork Horn

So what does it cost a non res for a qualified guide ? food, housing, + tag.
That would be more helpful should I want to come out there. and also what is the success ratio?