Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Necessities for the first elk hunt. >

Necessities for the first elk hunt.

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Necessities for the first elk hunt.

Old 04-22-2003, 09:35 PM

Default Necessities for the first elk hunt.

I have a number of questions about this trip this fall. I' d like to ask a bunch of stuff, but don' t want to seem to stupid as to what I' m doing. I am trying to acquire as much knowlege as possible for this trip.

I know I can find basic stuff with old posts. Specifically, in SW colorado, what type of dangerous game might we come across? Bear, Mointain Lion etc. Is their a need, or rather, would it be advised to carry a handgun along as well on this hunt? Does Colorado offer resiprosity (sp) for concealed carry?

I know I will need a frame pack, sleeping bag etc. and I know the outfitter will provide a list of things that are necessary, but any advise for me would be great. Looking back on your first hunt, what is the one thing that you wish someone would have told you to bring with? I' m sure I' ll have more questions as time goes by, but thanks in advance.

Ryan

Old 04-22-2003, 10:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Necessities for the first elk hunt.

A lot of this your outfitter will provide but this is the stuff (I think this is about all of it) that our camp takes with us / me. The bold typed stuff I would take even if I was using an outfitter.

cabin tent
wod stove
cot or pad
sleeping bag
packable chair
coleman stove
day pack
matches and lighter

axe
hand gun w/ bullets
3 knives
sharpener
multi tool
folding saw
first aid kit
100' rope

small block and tackle for hanging quarters
lantern
toilet paper
2 flashlights w/ extra batteries
binoculars

2 bugles / 2 cow calls (Depending on what season)
game bags
5 sets long johns
5 pair wool socks
5 pair white socks
3 pair camo pants
3 camo shirts
heavy jacket
light jacket

gortex jacket and pants
emergency poncho
space blanket
boots
tennis shoes for evening hours
plastic coffee mug
paper plates and bowls
utencils
pots and pans
enough food and drink for the duration
candy bars / energy snacks
tooth brush and tooth paste
soap
wash rag
water bottle

Don' t forget your rifle and ammo[]
Old 04-22-2003, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cont. from BigBulls list:

camera, film, extra batteries
gun cleaning kit
compass, and GPS if possible
Colorado State Proclamation
shooting stick, or rifle bypod
hunting licence
duct tape
epoxy
gun screw driving kit
map
camo
cover scent products

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR HUNT!!

Old 04-23-2003, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

The BIG THREE for me for a comfortable hunt is to take QUALITY:

1) Sleeping bag: skimp here and you will be miserable on cold nights. NOT FUN. A sleeping pad also helps you stay much warmer.
2) Boots: skimp here and your feet will get wet, cold, blisters, etc.
3) Long johns: Cotton is a big NONO here. You must take good a ' wicking' pair. Moisture transport is the name of the game becuase you will be hiking is steep country and that means sweat! Skimp here and when you sweat the water will stay against your body and make you cold when you stop
Old 04-23-2003, 07:16 AM

First Time,

SW Colorado? Other dangerous game -- during elk season -- essentially zero. You may see lion track but it is VERY unlikely you will ever see lion. Your elk rifle (or even a deer rifle being used for elk) will be enough for any rare, rare chance you may have of even seening a lion or bear -- let alone having a defense issue. If you were hunting up by Yellowstone (NW Wyo) or Glacier (MT) it might be a little different story (grizzlies). Colorado is pretty tame. Side arm -- too much weight and bother -- every shed ounce is precious if you are hunting in the San Juans.

Looks like you are going to acquire a pretty good list so I am not going to delve into that with one exception -- GPS! I know this is a guided hunt and you are supposed to be " cared for." However, a lot of the hiking/riding is done in the dark and if you are just " following along" you will go home with many of the " secrets" left behind. Besides we' ve seen the posts where the guide and the client got seperated an things got interesting.

With a GPS:
(1) you' ll be able to take care of yourself to a greater degree if circumstances demand it,
(2) you' ll be able to " re-live" your hunt or plan the next one by uploading the info up into a computer mapping program like " TOPO!" ,
(3) you may be able to do your own trip without a guide in later years if you start acquiring the navigation and orientation information needed right from the start.

You don' t have to get the most expensive one.
Make sure it is a convenient size with a durable antenae.
Get the computer cable and map software for it.
PRACTICE -- PRACTICE -- PRACTICE at home.
Always name your way points --- don' t leave them as a number.
It is easy to master but DON' T wait until the week before the trip!

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM
Old 04-23-2003, 08:30 AM

Ask your outfitter to send you a list of what he provides and a recommended list of what you should bring.
As posted earlier cotton is not the best. You don' t need to spend a fortune on all new hunting gear out of Cabellas however, camo is not necessary, just earth tones is good, you will probably be wearing hunter orange anyway.
Don' t go with the one big coat, wear several layers and shed or add as the temperature changes.
I like to wear three different thicknesses of insulated underwear shirts then shed or add as required. Fleece is a great substitute for wool, much more comfortable and very quiet, microfleece does a good job .
Some misc stuff: good warm gloves, a stocking cap to keep your head warm in the sleeping bag, good socks liner and warm pair, sunscreen, chapstick, foam earplugs in case someone snores. A good way to decide on personal items is to visualize yourself going through a day and what you will need at each step.
Don' t worry about cougars and bears, you do not need a sidearm.
If you are going with a good outfitter a map of the area and a compass are all you will need. GPS is cool but certainly not a necessity.
You don' t need a bipod, you can use your daypack for a rest or available terrain.
Think light, the less you have to carry around the more fun you will have.
I would definitely bring a water jug and PUR water filter though. I would want to be responsible for making sure I could get water when needed.
Get in shape, the better condition you are in the better your chances of success on your hunt. Practice off hand with your rifle.
Good luck on your hunt!

Lastly, the only stupid questions are the ones you don' t ask. Ask away?
Old 04-23-2003, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

I' m sorry but I gotta take issue with a couple items these fellers say you need. First, the plastic coffee mug. Plastic don' t belong in the mountings. Real men drink their coffee from metal cups an' got the burn scars on their lips to prove it! Plastic is fer wimmins panties an' hair curlers, not manly huntin' gear. Second, the long johns. Only proper unnerware for a elk hunter is a wool union suit, longhandles by god! Use buttons an' avoid elastic (also only proper fer wimmins unnerware). Wood, leather, steel (not stainless), an' wool. Stick with natural materials. An' fer gods sake don' t save in huntin' camp. Sign of a real greenhorn is a clean shaved face.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can' t believe no one said a TV and remote. Good list bigbulls but how you gonna get all that stuff in the bush. Not to mention good protein food and to be in the best physical shape and acclimateing yourself to the higher elevations in which may take some getting use too. If you are fortunate enough to bag an elk now you have to field dress it, I like this rather than boneing because of less waste of meat. Slide the inerds on a plastic sheet and drag it a 100 or so yards off. This is when you need to be looking over your shoulder because its a known fact that the griz do come to these so called sound shots in which is like ringing a dinner bell for them. You will need 6 game bags and now must contend with getting the meat out of the bush. Can' t get all the meat out so you got to leave some? [] This is why its good to have a pulley and rope to pull it up in to a tree.[8D] If you can' t get in up high then leave as much of your personal clothing on the elk as possible and even urinate around it. ( The key word here is " Around" , not ON.) Leave it where you can see the carcass for a ways off in case a bear or cat is on it when you come back, and don' t be surprised if it is dragged off somewhere.[:@] I carry pepper spray and a ruger 357 ss with a 3" barrel for self defense and it would depend on the situation as to which one use first. I did however dropped a feral dog that was with a pack with my gun though when he got down in a semi-sneak and starting snarling.[>:]
A lot of these well seasoned hunters have some great advise and like anything esle, you gotta develope your own method and its a learning experience everytime you go out. Go out and enjoy, Bobby
Old 04-23-2003, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

Best to urinate right on the meat. Dependin' on the wind, the bear might not git a snoot full of yer scent by doin' it on bushes. I pee right on the quarters, where he' s bound to git wind of my claim.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Beaverjack, you certainly have a way with words. What' s wrong with my plastic mug, the snap on top helps keep spills in the cup and keeps my coffee hot longer.
Real men drink their coffee from metal cups an' got the burn scars on their lips to prove it! Plastic is fer wimmins panties an' hair curlers, not manly huntin' gear.
That' s pretty funny!

121553, that stuff gets up there with the help of four horses. Add on the food and supplies for the horses and you see that we start a couple of weeks before the season.

Quick Reply: Necessities for the first elk hunt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.