HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Nebraska Public Land Mule Deer Question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/348532-nebraska-public-land-mule-deer-question.html)

Switchbkshooter 08-22-2011 07:40 AM

Nebraska Public Land Mule Deer Question

Hey all. A buddy and I are looking to go muzzleloader hunt Nebraska this year for mule deer in December. We figured we'd skip the rifle and go with the muzzleloader to avoid the majority of the crowd. Plus tags are easy to get. I was curious as to if anyone has hunted this area and whether or not anyone has any suggestions of where to go. I've been hearing a lot about the northwest corner near Chadron/Ft. Robinson and the North Central area by Samuel McKelvie NF. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bchunts 08-22-2011 07:45 AM

I hunt there every year for rifle season, for rifle you just have to stay off the roads and get back away from every one, there are some good mule deer and whitetail in that area, there is alot of public ground there but I would stop by game and fish office and get there local maps, it shows a lot more public areas then on their website. You have a good time on your hunt but it will be pretty cold during December and lots of wind so dress in layers. Good Luck.

onebigelk 08-23-2011 12:19 AM

sbs, I ML hunted for Mulies their last Dec. Around Chadron and Neb. Nat. Forest by Halsey by myself. Nice little drive from SE MO. Didn't get anything but had a good time. Saw 2 real buisers thru spotting scope over a mile away but by the time I got to where I last saw them couldn't find them. I think the Neb. Nat. forest has over 90,000 acres. Lots of area. I saw does and those bucks there. That was the only time Iv'e ever been there but if I can help let me know. Kevin. Good luck.

muleyman 08-25-2011 07:24 PM

I used to hunt the area around Chadron a lot when I went to school up there. That was where I started big game hunting, and I started with the muzzle loader. There are plenty of deer up there in the state park area, both muleys and whiteys. You should have pretty good luck if you put in the time. We always had good luck knocking on doors and asking permission as well. Nice people up there, so don't be afraid to ask. The worst that can happen is that they can say no, and you say thanks anyway and move on. Best of luck to you!

Switchbkshooter 08-26-2011 02:40 PM

Thanks everyone for the info. Keep it coming!

Originally Posted by muleyman (Post 3838869)
I used to hunt the area around Chadron a lot when I went to school up there. That was where I started big game hunting, and I started with the muzzle loader. There are plenty of deer up there in the state park area, both muleys and whiteys. You should have pretty good luck if you put in the time. We always had good luck knocking on doors and asking permission as well. Nice people up there, so don't be afraid to ask. The worst that can happen is that they can say no, and you say thanks anyway and move on. Best of luck to you!

Muleyman, first off awesome buck in your avatar pic. If you don't mind me asking, which state park are you referring to up there? Fort Robinson? We will definitely have to get the nerve to go up there and ask permission. Thanks again.