HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   newcastle wy antelope info (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/348443-newcastle-wy-antelope-info.html)

lineman1779 08-20-2011 02:14 PM

newcastle wy antelope info

my buddy and myself drew tags for unit six and just wondering about camping in the unit and kinda what to expect when we are out there

Topgun 3006 08-20-2011 04:29 PM

There are only a few spots where there is more than two or three sections of public land in that whole unit. Those are either National Grassland and/or State land combinations. You cannot camp on state land and there are no walkin areas or Hunter Management areas in that unit. You are going to need an awful good map to avoid trespassing and I would suggest you start making some calls to the C of C in Newcastle and the F&G Office to try and pay for access to hunt on a ranch in that unit. Did you not look into access issues before you applied for your tags?

HatchieLuvr 08-20-2011 05:06 PM

Sorry I'm no more help, but my dad and I went to Sturgis in 06 and one day we rode our bikes over to Devils Tower and then cut down 85 to Newcastle for lunch. If you get to the point of asking/paying for access to private land DON'T be afraid to look around the hwy 85 corridor. There were LOTS of sage goats out there. I could hardly ride straight for all the swivel heading I was doing looking at the game. Nice rolling terrain around there as well.

In 04 I lope and mulie hunted in the Crazy Creek area south of Buffalo. Naturally that area is CHOKED FULL of speed goats, but most all of the grass/flat lands of WY have good #s of lopes if you look for em.

Good luck,
HL

car 08-21-2011 04:38 PM

I've hunted in area 7 several times but, never in 6. I think Topgun is right about not much public.

Topgun 3006 08-22-2011 09:18 AM

How you doing pardner? I sure like that monster in your avatar. Have you got any like that scouted out this year yet?

lineman1779 08-23-2011 03:23 PM

I thank you guys for the info. this is the first time my buddy and i did anything like this so access plans were not on our minds. but now we know that this is a big issue. we just applied with the areas that had the most national grassland area thinking that would be all public land.

car 08-23-2011 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 (Post 3837472)
How you doing pardner? I sure like that monster in your avatar. Have you got any like that scouted out this year yet?

Found a few on trail cam but, going to have to wait and see what happens.

car 08-23-2011 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by lineman1779 (Post 3838049)
I thank you guys for the info. this is the first time my buddy and i did anything like this so access plans were not on our minds. but now we know that this is a big issue. we just applied with the areas that had the most national grassland area thinking that would be all public land.

There is a new game warden in the Newcastle area. Not sure what his name is but, if you contact him he'll be able to help you out. I'll give you this much advice and I'm not trying to be funny is saying don't shoot the first one you see. After you're there you'll know what I mean. good luck :)

Wheatley 08-24-2011 07:29 AM

There is plenty of public land in this area, not as much as compared to others around it but with all the state, federal, BLM, and National Grasslands you can find the areas to hunt. I would suggest the Thunder Basin National Grasslands Map which can be purchases form US forest service website. The West end of that unit next to area 27 has National Grasslands on it and all kinds of Antelope. What was said just above is very true. Do not shoot the first one you see, unless he is a very nice one that is. Use the ears to judge them. You want one that is more than double the ear length. Have fun.

lineman1779 08-28-2011 07:21 AM

i really like the info i am getting thank you

Topgun 3006 08-28-2011 04:15 PM

I'm really surprised he's telling you that there is plenty of public land in unit 6 because, as I stated, there are very few spots that have more than 3 or 4 sections of public land. I'm looking at 6 on my CD ROM and I would suggest you do as he mentioned and stay in the northwest area close to unit 27 as that is the one spot that has about 8 or 9 square miles that are pretty well all together. Since very little of the land is marked and it's the hunter's responsibility to know where they are, I just don't want you to get a trespassing ticket. If you have a GPS that you can buy a SD card loaded with all the land ownership, that would be your best way to go and know that you are legal. Otherwise, you are going to be doing a lot of guesswork in that unit, which is not good.

StabyhounDogs 08-29-2011 06:09 PM

There is camping in the city too, you can find those by going to the city or county website. The Flying V, Cambria Inn just eight miles outside Newcastle has all the hookups and they have the cheepest and good processing facility in town. The meat was deboned, packaged and frozen overnight for $80. (307) 746-2096, 23726 N U S Highway 85

lineman1779 09-04-2011 05:13 PM

topgun where would i find one of those sd cards you are talking about

dack77 09-04-2011 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by lineman1779 (Post 3842797)
topgun where would i find one of those sd cards you are talking about

This is the best one. You can download the file or buy a card that has it preloaded. They work awesome. You can actually buy a preloaded card from the Wyoming Fish and Game Website also, which they get from the website listed below.

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/

Murdy 09-05-2011 05:38 AM

"the one spot that has about 8 or 9 square miles that are pretty well all together."
It's all relative. I live in Illinois, and I don't think we have 8 or 9 square miles if you added up all the public land in the state, so to me, that sounds pretty good. lol.

Jkuhn63 09-09-2011 07:50 AM

If you decide not to camp.... The Fountain Inn in newcastle is the place to stay.

Does anybody know why Area 7 by Newcastle had 350 applicants for first choice antelope when the past few years they had almost none???

lineman1779 09-09-2011 03:27 PM

dack77 that has been the best tip so far just ordered that card i almost bought one from cabelas the other day and i am glad i didnt. thank you so much. and all the camping info and hotel info is great. my friend and me really apperciate all the help you guys are giving us. we are rookies to this kind of stuff. we really just stay home and hunt and wanted to venture out of our shells. so we thank you all