Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
newcastle wy antelope info >

newcastle wy antelope info

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

newcastle wy antelope info

Old 08-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Spike

Default newcastle wy antelope info

my buddy and myself drew tags for unit six and just wondering about camping in the unit and kinda what to expect when we are out there
Old 08-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are only a few spots where there is more than two or three sections of public land in that whole unit. Those are either National Grassland and/or State land combinations. You cannot camp on state land and there are no walkin areas or Hunter Management areas in that unit. You are going to need an awful good map to avoid trespassing and I would suggest you start making some calls to the C of C in Newcastle and the F&G Office to try and pay for access to hunt on a ranch in that unit. Did you not look into access issues before you applied for your tags?

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-20-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry I'm no more help, but my dad and I went to Sturgis in 06 and one day we rode our bikes over to Devils Tower and then cut down 85 to Newcastle for lunch. If you get to the point of asking/paying for access to private land DON'T be afraid to look around the hwy 85 corridor. There were LOTS of sage goats out there. I could hardly ride straight for all the swivel heading I was doing looking at the game. Nice rolling terrain around there as well.

In 04 I lope and mulie hunted in the Crazy Creek area south of Buffalo. Naturally that area is CHOKED FULL of speed goats, but most all of the grass/flat lands of WY have good #s of lopes if you look for em.

Good luck,
HL

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 08-20-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:38 PM
car
Typical Buck

I've hunted in area 7 several times but, never in 6. I think Topgun is right about not much public.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

How you doing pardner? I sure like that monster in your avatar. Have you got any like that scouted out this year yet?
Old 08-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Spike

I thank you guys for the info. this is the first time my buddy and i did anything like this so access plans were not on our minds. but now we know that this is a big issue. we just applied with the areas that had the most national grassland area thinking that would be all public land.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:20 PM
car
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
How you doing pardner? I sure like that monster in your avatar. Have you got any like that scouted out this year yet?
Found a few on trail cam but, going to have to wait and see what happens.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:24 PM
car
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by lineman1779
I thank you guys for the info. this is the first time my buddy and i did anything like this so access plans were not on our minds. but now we know that this is a big issue. we just applied with the areas that had the most national grassland area thinking that would be all public land.
There is a new game warden in the Newcastle area. Not sure what his name is but, if you contact him he'll be able to help you out. I'll give you this much advice and I'm not trying to be funny is saying don't shoot the first one you see. After you're there you'll know what I mean. good luck
Old 08-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is plenty of public land in this area, not as much as compared to others around it but with all the state, federal, BLM, and National Grasslands you can find the areas to hunt. I would suggest the Thunder Basin National Grasslands Map which can be purchases form US forest service website. The West end of that unit next to area 27 has National Grasslands on it and all kinds of Antelope. What was said just above is very true. Do not shoot the first one you see, unless he is a very nice one that is. Use the ears to judge them. You want one that is more than double the ear length. Have fun.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Spike

i really like the info i am getting thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.