Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Good Bear Outfitter in NE? >

Good Bear Outfitter in NE?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Good Bear Outfitter in NE?

Old 08-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Good Bear Outfitter in NE?

I promised my son that I would take him on a bear hunt when he was 10. Well, he just turned 9 last month so the time is getting near.

We live in Pennsylvania so something like Maine or eastern Ontario would be good. I'd like to drive there. It looks like you can get a bear hunt for around $1500. Are these good ones?

They are also for a week. We don't really have that much time. Would it be worth while to hunt for 3 days?

If anyone has a guide in the NE, let me know. We'll probably go the fall of 2012.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

i do 3 day hunts in New Hampshire, over bait for bear. I still have a weekend or two open at the end of Sept. drop me a line at [email protected], or 802 461 8436.
Pat
AMMONOOSUC RIVER OUTFITTERS
Old 08-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

How old do kids need to be to hunt in New Hampshire?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:20 AM
Spike

maine runs 98% or thereabouts on hunter success on blackbear for residents and non-residents. other states are MUCH lower.

one thing to consider is that, overall, the bears are smaller in maine because there are so many.

i'll have about $600 in my trip to oregon next spring, and had about $1500 in it last spring because my wife turned it into a family vacation.

i like hunting the west coast. you don't have to be board sitting over a bait can all day.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

one thing to consider is that, overall, the bears are smaller in maine because there are so many.
I'm not all that worried about getting on a trophy-class bear. This would be my 10 year old boy's first bear so any decent bear would do.

We have some of the biggest bears around in PA so he'll be able to pursue the 800lb+ bruins when he's older. For this hunt, we just want to get him his first.

And, a lot of this hunt will be just a father and son having a good time together.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:55 AM
Spike

I have been to northern Maine on 3 trips. I have taken 2 bear. First was about 280lbs and the last was 430lbs with a 18inch skull that was entered in the Maine book for Muzzleloader. Maine does have plenty of smaller bear, but it has some nice ones too. I think that a lot of it depends on the Guide service you use and the land they hunt, plus your patients to old out for a good bear.

The season in Maine starts the week (Monday) before Labor Day. You could connect in 3 days, but that is never guaranteed. I would definitely stay the week. I connected on that last one on the last evening of the hunt. Keep in mind that a lot depends on the mast crops during the year as to how many will come into the baits too. Heavy mast crops will keep the bear from coming into the sweet stuff, so you need to be patient. How good the mast crops are is something you will not know when you make your reservation, But thats Hunting too.

I personally recommend BearCreek Lodge. John Schmidt is a great guy, very knowledgeable on Black bear and has a lot of Timber company property leased as well as local farms. I am planning to go back next season myself. I would not think of any place else to go.

http://www.bearcreeklodge.net/
Old 08-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the info, Shawn. I know a full week would be the best bet. The only problem is vacation days from work and pulling my son out of school. We have our yearly vacation in May so he will already be missing 6 days. Another 5 would be pushing it. I wouldn't be looking for a reduced price, we'd just have to leave early.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:05 AM
Spike

No problem. I have seen a couple guys that left early after only hunting a couple days, there was a guy that used to drive up and only stay 2 or 3 days since he owned a buisiness and just needed a quick get away. I also understand you plight, I am single so I don't have those worries, but I used to work out time to spend with my Nephew and he was in Ohio with me in NY. You would also have about a day and a half drive unless you really push it depending on where you are starting from in PA. Bear Creek is all the way up in NE Maine only 27 miles from New Brunswick. The Lodge is a little out of Island Falls next to I95. My first trip up there were 3 guys from Erie, but they flew into Bangor (I think) and John went to the airport to pick them up. It is probably 2 1/2 to Bangor (just guessing). For me it is about 10 hour drive from Long Island.

The Bait season is 4 weeks starting the Monday before Labor day. IF I remember correctly Pa schools start Before Labor day just like Ohio. You might get a reservation the week of Labor day so you have the holiday from school to give you an extra day. Good luck to you and your son where ever you chose to hunt.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been doing the Mapquest thing and Allagash is 14 hours from my house. I also talked to a buddy who hunted at Tyler Kelly's place and it took him 14 hours from near where I live.

I was thinking about Labor Day weekend, too. That would be one less day we'd have to take off. My only issue would be if this was the first week of school. This year, school starts the day after Labor Day (Tuesday). I'm not sure how it falls next year.

We'll make it work. The price and time away from school is something I'm going to have to clear with the wife, though.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Spike

Great post! It's very nice. Thank you so much for your post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.