Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Anyone have success hunting the Flat Top Wilderness? >

Anyone have success hunting the Flat Top Wilderness?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Anyone have success hunting the Flat Top Wilderness?

Old 09-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Default Anyone have success hunting the Flat Top Wilderness?

Just curious.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anyone have success hunting the Flat Top Wilderness?

[/align]
[blockquote]

Cougar Mag

I just got back from the Flat Tops and I hate to say we struck out this year we were there the last two weeks we seen elk but they were very nocturnal cuase of the warm weather and very few bugles .
But if you are going here soon you will have a great advantage over us cuase it will cool down and they should be on fire and there isa lot of elk there.

I've been going there above Yampa for 10 yearsand me and my buddies have only been skunked twice this isthe second time butthe time before thatthere were shots not taken and a miss or two.

If you want I can key you in on some hot spots but I wont do it on here . And dont worry about it you will see elk . And if you have time take a hike to devils causewayyou will really enjoy the view.

Good luck
Shane
[/align] [/blockquote]
Old 09-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Anyone have success hunting the Flat Top Wilderness?

Thanks Shane. Reason I asked is we were there opening week. Because of the warmer than normal temps, everyone including a large outfitter and a forrest ranger said they were in the deep timber on the very top of the mountains. Without horses and little knowledge of the area we were at a huge disadvantage. We were camped about 20-25 miles south of Yampa. I could have easily killed a bear with my bow, and in fact there was more bear sign than anything else. I also saw 2 nice mulie bucks too. I plan on going back in about 2 years and plan to wait till the 2nd week. I will email you soon.

Greg
Old 08-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Spike

Default Flat Tops/3rd Rifle seaso

Going there this fall with my son on his first elk hunt. Going to stay near Crescent Lake. Any advice on areas or watchouts?

Thanks
Old 08-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

This original post is from 2005!! But I'll comment. I hunted flat tops last yr. 3rd wk Sept-archery. Didn't draw a muzzleloader tag. I spent alot of time around Derby Mtn. It was the only place I had any action. The Bulls were hitting the dark timber at the base of the mtns, and were only out in the meadows at first light.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Spike

Default 2005 Post

Yeah, I realized that after I posted to it. But couldn;t find any posts on this specific area of Colorado. We are planning on driving in as far as possible (I have a serious off roader) and taking horses up from their, base camping near the truck. Did you find much hunter pressure?
Old 09-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Spike

I too have hunted the flat tops, and took my first bull Elk there. In time, in weather, and with pressure things change, so I will tell you up front I hunted it during 2nd rifle. (Oct 22ndish) Then didnt see but one live cow, and two small small bulls One Live mature 170 ish live deer on that signature danger bound off, and a small buck taken the entire 6 days I was there. Here is what I gathered in about 11 days afield in two seasons.

-They are there, lots of em.

-They are extremely good at hiding, and even if cold with some snow, unless you have adverse weather conditions dont expect to find them any where but deep/dark timber, steep mountain sides with rocky edges and benches of thick timber, gotta start high every time. Sign in the timber, on the game trails, 3/4 to half way up ridges/mountains just about every where.

-You have two options, even if all you have is a good off road capable truck or SUV, get WAY back, anything even remotely close to civilization will have Old Guys on ATVs, Outa staters on ATVs and Side By Sides, Lazy Colorado weekend warrior hunters ect.

-If you see it moving any time but super later or at the but crack of dawn, its more than likely a bumped animal.

-You're better off driving them if you go for some reason go rifle, and if you're bow hunting then you wont run into any one and you're into Elk (they are in tough places for the semi-unfit.

-You should see a plethora of out of state plates

-every one there leaves camp, smelling like camp.....dont know why they never got the scent thing down.

-have realistic expectations for an OTC area, you won't find 300+ bulls in there very often, hes smart enough to avoid the orange army boys ( I do the orange army and Bow deal, no angel here) dodging running shots for years (Only did that once, only took one shot to seal the deal, terrible I know)

-I talk to a fairly large amount of big game hunters that hunt there and every where else, have learned alot about these areas.

-there are hidden Gems in this area with good bulls, I have seen the product of a strong hunt, just can't take credit for it.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Spike

Thanks for the excellent info, guys. We will be using horses and it going as far away from the atv's as feasable. Hoping we can use the horses to our advantage, and go steep and remote on foot.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

be aware of the new rules for bringing horses into the state of CO.

New Travel Requirements for Horses Entering Colorado
Standard requirements for horses entering Colorado include a health issued certificate within 30 days of their arrival and a negative Coggins test within 12 months. The new requirement consists of a permit to enter the state. Horse owners who wish to bring their horse into Colorado must first call their veterinarian. That veterinarian can then contact the Colorado Department of Agriculture’s State Veterinarian’s Office at (303) 239-4161 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (303) 239-4161 end_of_the_skype_highlighting and request a permit number. That number would then be included on the health certificate
Old 09-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've only hunted it during archery seasons, 2x were also during the muzzleloader wk. Not much pressure at all then. A few spike camps setup near the parking/trail heads. I was outfitted, and horsebacked in everyday to spots. It was all forever wild foot & horse access only. My only issue had was alot of cattle, and I've seen more, and more over the yrs on Flat Tops. Cattle can ruin a Elk hot spot almost as much as hunting pressure. But the ranchers are suppose to have them off the Fed. lands by end Sept.. So rifle season they should be gone. Far as hunters during Rifle seasons I couldn't tell ya.

Quick Reply: Anyone have success hunting the Flat Top Wilderness?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.