Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Why do people hunt bears?

Old 02-08-2015, 05:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

As to why people hunt bears: Because an over population of bears can affect the well being of other wildlife and because with human population exanding into areas that historically had bears human bear conflicts are common. Nothing gets a game agencies phone ringing faster than people hearing a noise outside at night, switching on a light and seeing a bear of bears looting their trash cans. Bears also kill domestic animals as well as wildlife. In my state, we have the largest numbers of cub triplets in the country and a population that is constantly growing, we also have some of the largest black bears in the country, bears so large taxidermists have to use grizzly bear forms to do a full body mount. Hunting bears gives hunters an opportunity to take an unusual and desirable trophy. I have eaten bear meat three times, roasts, it was difficult to tell from a good beef roast so if cared for properly it is very good. I also know peole who render the fat from bears and use it like lard to bake pie crust. Once you kill a bear you have to get it out of the woods which can take the fun out of killing one. In 1975, I helped remove 3 bears from the woods and skinned all three that night. It cured me of wanting to kill a bear myself.

As far as baiting bears goes, most of the states or provences that allow bait do so because the areas bears live are very difficult to hunt without bait, vast unbroken wooded areas make it almost impossible to put on a bear drive or to still hunt them and take numbers large enough to meet the harvest goals of wildlife agencies.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 02-08-2015 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I never addressed why hunters hunt for bear. The OP did that. The OP also didn't understand how baiting was hunting. All my posts addressed that, and I was agreeing with him.

So, I didn't go off topic.
...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 02-08-2015 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Rules 2 & 8
Old 02-08-2015, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I see ...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 02-08-2015 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Rules # 2 & 8
Old 02-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags

Last edited by CalHunter; 02-08-2015 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Rules 2 & 8
Old 02-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

The anti-hunter new member who brought this 4-year-old topic back up has now been permabanned after posting 2 anti-hunting posts and his posts deleted. If your post above was edited, it's because it violates the rules. Play nice gents.

CalHunter
Old 02-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Last edited by CalHunter; 02-08-2015 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Rule # 5--2-day temp ban.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by CalHunter
If your post above was edited, it's because it violates the rules. Play nice gents.

CalHunter

Last edited by CalHunter; 02-08-2015 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Rule # 5--2-day temp ban.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

"some kind of a attractant (illegal in my state from what I can read, Georgia."

Got me confused. You object to an attractant in Canada, but in south Georgia using bait for deer is legal in south Geogia.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

I also agree that each situation is different and would never condone anyone for doing something that is legal in the state they are participating in.But I have no interest in paying money to a outfitter and have him drop me off to a stand.I like to do things myself and go out and find my game.It takes a lot of work and when I score it is a great feeling of accomplishment.I know of a lot of people who flew out to Idaho and paid a guide to drive them to where the sheep were and the guide said they they are,go ahead and shoot one.Me personally would rather go home empty handed then get one that way.But that,s just me.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GOOD OLE BOY
I also agree that each situation is different and would never condone anyone for doing something that is legal in the state they are participating in.But I have no interest in paying money to a outfitter and have him drop me off to a stand.I like to do things myself and go out and find my game.It takes a lot of work and when I score it is a great feeling of accomplishment.I know of a lot of people who flew out to Idaho and paid a guide to drive them to where the sheep were and the guide said they they are,go ahead and shoot one.Me personally would rather go home empty handed then get one that way.But that,s just me.
It's not just you...................+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.