Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

after the kill...

Old 08-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Spike

Default after the kill...

i need some help i want to go big game hunting this year with my buddy for either moose or bear but i have no clue what to do after the kill how do i get it prepared and how to set up a butcher where to bring it and how to get it out of the bush, can you guys help me out? tell me everything i need to know after the shoot...

thanks alot
Old 08-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Fork Horn

Have you ever dressed any game? Where are you planning on hunting. There is a big difference in bear and moose, for bear I would recommend seeing a taxidermist,most will be happy to tell you how to skin and other wise handle your trophy,if your in a warm area,you need to be sure you can cool the meat bear seems to spoil quickly and moose is never easy to cool the thighs and shoulders are large pieces of meat and hold heat well, rapid cooling leads to better quality meat, and both are to good to waste and deserve better than to end up in the garbage.Divide the meat into the smallest pieces you can legally and reasonably,places them in a cotton game bag and hang in the shade or other cool area with good air movement.
Alex
Old 08-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Spike

no I never have I've watched people do it many times before though... I'm from canada......how would I get it cooled fast enough could I put it on ice some how?
Old 08-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

You may want to try something smaller for your first time. A moose is a large animal and a ton of meat to properly care for. I cary game bags around with me so if I do shoot something in the heat I can cut it up skin it and hang in the shade ASAP. However getting a moose out is very challenging. Hopefully you have a few people that can help.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know Canadian regs but can you even get tags this late in the season? Best bet is to find someone who knows what they're doing and go with them. If that's not possible there's lots of videos on youtube showing how to cut up big game.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would start with a deer. Easy for you and your buddy to haul out in one trip after it's dressed and quartered.

You'll be forever getting a moose out.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Listen to the other members and start with something smaller. An elk or a moose is not for a first timer unless you have several helpers. The bull elk my buddy shot last year in Wyoming took us 4 trips and 1 1/2 days to backpack out to the truck and it was only 1 1/4 miles!!! Moose are bigger and I've also helped on the smaller Shiras up in Idaho in 2007---never again without a couple mules or horses!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

It's good that you are thinking about this before you go hunting rather than after you have an animal on the ground. There are videos about cleaning just about anything on Youtube. I know you've seen it done a few times, but I think it helps to see it a few times when you're not caught up in the moment during a hunt.
Good Luck.

Last edited by Murdy; 08-07-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Spike

thanks alot guys!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another thing is if you are quartering don't even bother with field dressing. You can get it all with out that extra work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.