Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Colorado Elk Which week to go? >

Colorado Elk Which week to go?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Elk Which week to go?

Old 07-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Spike

Default Colorado Elk Which week to go?

I am planning an Archery Elk hunt for unit 62 for 2012. I've been three times already each being the first week of the season with some decent success. However, I have yet to hear an elk bugle or see any rutting activity. With that in mind I am thinking of going a little later in the season and would like to find out from experienced elk hunters on what week would be the best. Knowing that this is a heavily pressured unit it seems as though each week has its positives and negatives.
-1st Week:
Positive-Elk have not been pressured yet.
Negative-Not much bugling or rut activity
-2nd Week:
Positive-Beginning stages of the rut.
Negative-Labor Day weekend according to locals a lot of hunters in the woods to start that week.
-3rd week:
Positive-Possible Peak of the Rut
Negative-Sharing the woods with muzzleload hunters
-4th week:
Positive-Still during the Rut
Negative-Elk have been pressured for previous 3 weeks

Next year the season opens a little early on 8/25. If your were going to be bow hunting 7 or 8 days next year in a heavily pressured unit such as 62 which 7 or 8 days would you choose to be there and why?
Old 07-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Unit 62

Unit 62 can be very tricky when it comes to elk rutting. If I was to pick a week I would pick the 3rd and 4th weeks, but three years ago the elk were screaming the opening weekend.

Good luck with your hunt !

Quinton
Old 07-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Whatever you do, don't go the week of us crazy muzzleloaders.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've done archery elk 3x's in areas 25 and 26, Flat Tops. In 06'- 4th wk, 08'- 3rd wk, 10'- 3rd wk. I have yet to see any hard rutting action!! Heard some bugles. But never seen Bulls chasing cows, or the crazy rut action read, and heard of. I often wonder if its just overrated! In fact I wondered if the 1st wk w/o the pressure, less hunters would be better. Long as didn't get real hot weather. So I wonder if its anyone's guess, and alot depends on that years weather, mother nature, and the area.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

First through second week is mainly catching bulls slipping through the dark timber and occasionally using a wallow. Mainly the elk have seen limited human contact from the occasional hiker or fisherman, so the level of alertness is down just a tad. It can be a great week if your patient in working a dark timber area with water and feed real close. The bulls for the most part are still in that bachelor mentality and are right where they rubbed their antlers. Mid second week to third week they are gathering cows for the rut and are starting to be responsive to an occasional cow call.

Third week is muzzleloader and to the disbelief of most archery hunters muzzle loader hunters don't really bother the elk at all or should I say no more than an archery hunter does. The bigger bulls are following cows around trying to maintain dominance in that herd. This is a great time to pick on the straggler bulls trying to slip in on herds. If the weather cools the elk seem to rut faster and more often but this depends on the cows not the bulls. Some bugling occurs but not as much as the forth week.

The forth week is the begging of rut or has been during the last 15 plus years in most of Colorado. It is the best time to easily locate bulls and spot and stalk. If you only have one week to go hunt it would be the better time in my opinion. The cons are if the unit you are hunting in seen severe hunting pressure the first three weeks you have to really be smart on how you approach a herd especially when trying to use a call. I mainly only use a call (bugle) to locate a bull then only use a cow call if the situation dictates. Chances of drawing a mature bull away from his herd using a cow call is limited especially in a heavy hunted area.

I'll be hunting archery myself this year in 80/81 and I'm looking forward to it. It's never a bad day in the woods in September. Food for thought if it is raining cats and dogs it's a great time to sneak up on an big old bull while everyone else is hunkered down in their tents. Good luck hope you get one.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Blackelk is spot on. Listen to his advice.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

Personally I prefer the last week of the season, bulls are buglin' giving away the location of the herd. We have had good luck in OTC units and for us, we are not afraid to get in close....

I have hunted and like you, it was real quiet. The first week can be good if physical limitations limits ones ability to cover ground....find the benches, water and food and sit tight......it may prove to be beneficial.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:56 PM
Spike

Thanks for the advise guys. Right now I am leaning towards going the final week of archery season. We have had pretty good luck getting on elk in the first week of the season around Paradox Road and 7N Road. Those areas seem to get quite a bit of pressure though. Anybody with experience in 62 know if the elk would still be in those areas by the last week? Are there some areas that might hold more elk than others at that time? I'm not looking for anybodies honey hole per say, but just a general area the elk may tend to go once they start to get pressured. I am not against putting several miles on my boots, but it seems like in 62 with all of the roads and 4wheeler trails that it is sometimes hard to get away from other hunters. Are there some remote areas that may hold good numbers elk later in the season? Also any other tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Spike

I have hunted 62 for the last seven years and have been fortunate enough to hunt two weeks each year. I hunt the first week every year because it has already been 11 months since I left the mountains and another day might kill me . The hunting is always fun and we typically hear a bull or two on the first day but not much after that. The bulls will respond to some light calling but always seem to come in quiet and downwind. I typically leave around Thursday of the first week and return for the last week. The hunting pressure this week is WAY lower than it was the first weekend. The bulls are more vocal but I wouldn't say its wide open by any means. I'm not saying you cant find a bull that is on fire and will come in running and screaming but that has been a rariety for me. Lastly, the weather on the last week can be brutal for a southern bow with two feet of snow in two days one year.

Now with all that said, hunt the first week if you want to see numbers of elk and hunt the last week if you want to hear one scream. My desire to hear them scream would force me to the last week if I only had week. If they dont talk, I take my calls and camera to 61 for at least an afternoon
Good Luck!