Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Bear hunting pointers for Vermont >

Bear hunting pointers for Vermont

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear hunting pointers for Vermont

Old 07-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Spike

Default Bear hunting pointers for Vermont

So I have been running searches and found some good information, but mostly for western states. I am a life long deer and upland game hunter who has only hunted bear secondary to deer hunting.

So here is the situation I need some pointers on. I keep bees on my in-laws farm in Vermont. For the last 5 years we have had a problem bear who raids the hives every chance he gets. At first he was just a cub, now he is huge and comes right up to the house door at times to sniff around.... Unfortunately he never shows up in season and the state will not issue a nuisance permit on him.

So when he first started hitting the hives they were on the ground and unprotected (our own fault). Then we got smart and put them on the roof of a shed. We went a few years without any problems other then him sniffing around. Last night he figured out how to climb the shed.

So now I am resolved to turn him into a rug and maybe some good eats

So the season in Vermont opens in Sept and runs until early Nov. Dogs are legal, but I don't have any and it is illegal to hire any. Bait is illegal, scents like bear bombs are a grey area, but I kinda am skeptical that they attract anything other than hunters with too much money in their wallet.

So what would be my best approach? We manage the land for deer with food plots and a few apple trees. It is heavily wooded and steep ground and was logged about two winters ago. Has some red oaks, but mostly hemlock and spruce, and it is marshy in places. It boarders the interstate for about two miles .
Old 07-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 6.5x55swedish
So I have been running searches and found some good information, but mostly for western states. I am a life long deer and upland game hunter who has only hunted bear secondary to deer hunting.

So here is the situation I need some pointers on. I keep bees on my in-laws farm in Vermont. For the last 5 years we have had a problem bear who raids the hives every chance he gets. At first he was just a cub, now he is huge and comes right up to the house door at times to sniff around.... Unfortunately he never shows up in season and the state will not issue a nuisance permit on him.

So when he first started hitting the hives they were on the ground and unprotected (our own fault). Then we got smart and put them on the roof of a shed. We went a few years without any problems other then him sniffing around. Last night he figured out how to climb the shed.

So now I am resolved to turn him into a rug and maybe some good eats

So the season in Vermont opens in Sept and runs until early Nov. Dogs are legal, but I don't have any and it is illegal to hire any. Bait is illegal, scents like bear bombs are a grey area, but I kinda am skeptical that they attract anything other than hunters with too much money in their wallet.

So what would be my best approach? We manage the land for deer with food plots and a few apple trees. It is heavily wooded and steep ground and was logged about two winters ago. Has some red oaks, but mostly hemlock and spruce, and it is marshy in places. It boarders the interstate for about two miles .
well, you could invite me over to come take care of him for ya! or better yet, wait until a week or so before Sept., look for his trail it should be fairly obvious by then, most likely heading towards the apples. put out a camera if you have one, get his pattern down, set up a scent free ground blind, and wait him out. Put the blind up a couple of weeks early, if you can figure it out. And scents /lures of any kind are NOT a gray area. I have spoken to the head warden about this, and he sas in no way, shape of form are any scents, even cover scents, allowed. What town is this in?
Old 07-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Why don't you just keep your hives out?

If your raising bees, then it strikes me that isn't baiting. Its just him being a nuisance. If it happens to occur in September, well then he's a dumb nuisance.

Not sure what Vermont DNR would say about that, but thats my logic at least.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:05 AM
Spike

Since the berries have ripened I haven't seen hide nor hair of him, last caught him on the game cam on the 28th of July.

We are in the Royalton area, since Irene getting here and out has become problematic.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I would ask around and find out the number of a couple of bear dog guys. Most that I have run into would be glad to have a bear to chase. They tree the bear and often pull the dogs and go home without shooting. It is all the chase for them. I am sure you could make a small donation towards dog food or a vet bill as a form of appreciation
Old 09-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Spike

My father-in-law already asked around, nobody in the area wants to run their dog's here cause the property boarders I-89.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Spike

I think the beehive idea is actually not a bad one. It would certainly allow you to pattern the animal and hopefully would take care of the nuisance.And besides who says you need to say anything about the bear raiding the beehive? Just a thought and happy hunting....